Help any one can tell me more about this pocket watch!

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
kenjoao

Help any one can tell me more about this pocket watch!

#1 Post by kenjoao » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/MX6y6

Thx a lot want to know more about it!

afire

Re: Help any one can tell me more about this pocket watch!

#2 Post by afire » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am

Not being a pocket watch guy, I'd never seen one before. But just google Paul Ditisheim deck watch and you'll get tons of results. If that's your watch, then you are in luck. Apparently, these are quite valuable. I'm seeing prices between $5,000 to over $20,000.
Real men wear small watches.

mrtoad

#3 Post by mrtoad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:48 am

This is a high-grade pocket watch with emphasis on utility, not decoration. (in that sense, it's like a railroad watch.) It's not marked, but it appears to have 21 jewels. The marking "Compensateur Guillaume" suggests that it somehow uses the work of Charles Guillaume, the French physicist who won the Nobel Prize for his work on horology. (Elinvar, later used for hairsprings on Hamilton and Illinois watches, was one of his inventions.)

A deck watch is a certified watch that is set to a ship's chronometer (which is too valuable and sensitive to go out on deck) so that the crew can have accurate time away from the navigator's office.

kenjoao

#4 Post by kenjoao » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Thx it my pocket watch ! But really hard to find information on internet! Thx for reply but still want to know more!