C.W. Brown Dial / Unstamped Movement

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
mjchance

C.W. Brown Dial / Unstamped Movement

#1 Post by mjchance » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Interested in any information or identification. A jeweler replaced the main spring recently, but was unable to offer details about what this watch is.

Dial:
C.W. BROWN
CHARLES TOWN,W.VA.

Case Back Cover:
Striped Ribbons with a small plain banner area.

Inside Back Cover:
ILLINOIS
WATCH CASE CO
SPARTAN

Movement:
15 Jewels

Thanks Kindly for any comments!

mrtoad

Re: C.W. Brown Dial / Unstamped Movement

#2 Post by mrtoad » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:40 pm

What you have is a good example of an Illinois "private label" watch. The movement is readily identified as an Illinois "Getty model" by having a single large winding wheel visible above the plate, with a crescent-moon click (the other winding wheel is under the plate). Its serial number dates it to about 1905. This particular movement was designed to go in a hunter case but has been recased in an open-face case, which is why the winding stem is at 3 rather than at 12.

Illinois was only too glad to prepare dials and even movements marked for local jewelers. Fred Friedberg's new book on Illinois watches (see the Illinois forum) has a list of such private labels that goes on to 45 pages.

The Illinois Watch Case Co. of Elgin had nothing to do with the Illinois Watch Company of Springfield other than being located in the same state.

This is a nice example of an Illinois watch, but you might want to look for a hunter case to house it.

mjchance

Re: C.W. Brown Dial / Unstamped Movement

#3 Post by mjchance » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks kindly for the information.

It was my uncle's watch and I am glad to have it working again and to know something about it.

Based on your information, I was able to look it up at https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/ ... is/1768319.