Semi-identifyable watch; has broken balance staff

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
ToshibaAbhorsen

Semi-identifyable watch; has broken balance staff

#1 Post by ToshibaAbhorsen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:29 am

Hello! I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this thread in the proper place and way.
I have a watch, handed down to my mother from her mother, who was a nurse. From the text on the watch, I can tell that it's a railway regulator, made by Levinsons', in Perth, Australia. Beyond that, I can't find out much about it. I've googled "Levinsons' pocket watch", "Railway regulator Australia", and many other permutations of what's printed on the watch.
The watch doesn't work, and I believe I have tracked the problem down to a broken balance staff. I'm fairly confident that's what's wrong, as the balance wheel has far too much freedom and the tips of the staff look like they've broken off, but please correct me otherwise!
A while ago, the watch was sent to a repair place in Wolverhampton. The watch came straight back, and they said that they couldn't find a replacement part. Before trying elsewhere, I thought I'd poke around on the internet to see if I could find a replacement part myself. I've looked on ebay, and a few other places, both for replacement parts and for a similar broken watch. I haven't been able to find a watch similar enough that I'd risk incompatibility, and since the tips of the balance staff appear to have broken off, I can't measure its height to look for another part with any accuracy.
If anyone has more info on this watch, or can point me in the right direction in terms of repair, that would be greatly appreciated!
Here are some photos, sorry if they're not very good. I had to use a magnifying glass for two of them because the camera wouldn't focus otherwise.
In case the photo of the inside isn't clear enough, the various bits of text read:
"68061", "15 JEWELS LEVER", "SWISS MADE", and "NON-MAGNETIC".
The number next to the balance wheel is 49.
Thanks!

unreformed66

Re: Semi-identifyable watch; has broken balance staff

#2 Post by unreformed66 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that's a Montilier movement. They're not easy to find information on, good luck!