Waltham Model 1877 & case

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
sdg321

Waltham Model 1877 & case

#1 Post by sdg321 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm

So I have this beautiful movement I've bought off ebay, the movement runs great! it's ran for 15 hours without being serviced. The only problem is the case. The case it came in had a broken off crown and I'm either looking to get the stem replaced, or buying a new case. I've done a good bit of research, I believe that there are no cases like the one I bought that were designed for this type of watch movement. Can anyone confirm or deny this and save me some time? My main concern is that my movement has a male winding piece on the movement (I dont know the exact term bare with me) and from what I've gathered this style of case also has a male piece which wouldn't work here.... I just want to confirm my suspicions.
Attachments
IMG_8095.JPG
IMG_8095.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_8097.JPG
IMG_8097.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_8096 (1).JPG
IMG_8096 (1).JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 650 times
IMG_8099.jpg
IMG_8099.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 650 times

JerseyMo

Re: Waltham Model 1877 & case

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:52 am

It's been some time wince I had a swing out case but, I don't think the stem is broken off. Rather the stem sleeve and crown are missing from the case.

Have a look here for a picture which is much like the one you show- http://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/t112 ... tch-repair

and do some searches on swing out pocket watch case.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

unreformed66

Re: Waltham Model 1877 & case

#3 Post by unreformed66 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Most model '77 movements have the male stem attached to the movement and there will be a corresponding female stem that is a part of the case. That being said in my 30 years of collecting and working on American pocket watches I don't ever remember seeing a male stem movement in a swingout case. Not saying that there weren't any but I can't remember seeing one. It's obvious that the movement didn't come in that case originally since there are extra screw marks evident where something else has been in it not to mention the fact that your movement is made for a hunting case, not the open face case that it's in. You need to find either the case with the female stem in it or find a female stem to set into a case. They are not "standard" and it really requires some hunting and pecking and some luck to build a case like that from parts. If it were me and I really wanted that movement I'd start looking for a more correct case.