Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fred Gruen's Travel Diary....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 am 

I'm finally getting around to scanning and sharing a nearly 200 page diary written by Fred Gruen on a train trip he took from Chicago to Yellowstone. This was written beginning on Aug 11, 1934. Unfortunately Fred's handwriting, like many of us, is quite difficult to read and it completely detracts the reader from the document.

So.... the Gruen research elves are hard at work transcribing this document.

Read can read more about Fred's Big Adventure on the GruenWristwatches site.

I am very aware that this document is a personal artifact. As soon as anything overly personal is found, I will stop the effort. As I explain on the web page, I believe this was NOT a diary meant to be locked away and filled with personal secrets. Fred Gruen was a genius, no doubt there, and it's rare we get to see something personally produced by someone like him. I'm curious what kind of a writer Fred was!!

I'm releasing the contents as they are scanned and transcribed. I've posted the first 19 pages of handwritten text and am working hard to get the transcription complete and posted. This is one of those lengthy projects that I will be releasing information about as I get it. We'll all be learning together what Fred had to say. Maybe he had some "aha!" moments about the Curvex design while traveling? Or, more likely, someone thoroughly enjoying some time away from the office and wanting to capture the experience on paper. Whatever is inside, it will be entertaining and we'll learn a bit about traveling by train in the mid-1930s.

The diary was accompanied by a large book of hand-drawn images of some of the sites along the route. I've scanned it and posted the PDF as well.

NOTE --- I'm having some trouble with the Microsoft embedded PDF widget reading the documents on the site is not quite working at the moment. HOWEVER, you can download the documents by clicking the sheet of paper in the bottom right part of the document and then choosing "Download a copy"

Here is what the physical book itself looks like. It measures 4 x 7 inches.

Attachments:
Fred Gruen Diary 01.JPG
Fred Gruen Diary 01.JPG [ 86.01 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]
Fred Gruen Diary 02.JPG
Fred Gruen Diary 02.JPG [ 279.01 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]
Fred Diary Trip Booklet.jpg
Fred Diary Trip Booklet.jpg [ 355.5 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]