Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help on ID
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:10 pm 

Hi. A bit of an impulse but any thoughts on what I just bought for my wife? :? :?: This will arrive some time in the future (don't get me started about the eBay global shipping scam to Canada) and am anxious to get it serviced, buffed and read form my wife's wrist.

Attachments:
ladies gruen 2.PNG
ladies gruen 2.PNG [ 80.91 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]
ladies gruen 3.PNG
ladies gruen 3.PNG [ 63.29 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]
ladies gruen.PNG
ladies gruen.PNG [ 80.14 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help on ID
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:04 am 

Despite what appears to be a 179 marking on the case, the movement in your watch is another 10 1/2 ligne caliber, the 807. This isn't unusual and I'm sure it's the original movement. I can't help with an ID at the moment, but maybe can later tonight. Larger pictures that clearly show the case engraving pattern might make that easier. And I can tell you that it won't be a fancy name. Just "Wristlet" followed by a number.

I would have originally been on black grosgrain ribbon band fastened with a clasp like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-Rosey-Gold- ... SwgmJX0zjv
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Watch-R ... Swa-dWoFpG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 am 

To me it looks like a WR100. Sources say that it is was only available in White Gold, but this looks like a proof for Green Gold as well.
As far as I know the 179 was introduced in 1925 and the 807 was more or less its predecessor, so I would date it to about 1925. It should have costet $35 at that time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:10 pm 

afire wrote:
Despite what appears to be a 179 marking on the case, the movement in your watch is another 10 1/2 ligne caliber, the 807.

John,

Did you forget to eat your Wheaties this morning :?:

Definitely a cal 179. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:51 pm 

Thanks all! I continue to appreciate the information sharing in this forum.

The pictures are a computer grab from the eBay listing. So when the eBay global shipping gets to actually sending it to my home I will post some better pictures (unless we have a positive ID before then) perhaps in a couple of weeks; perhaps some before and after service. My pictures will have better detail as I have a great macro lens for my DSLR.

The eBay descriptor was interesting as it did not mention it being a green gold and I thought it looked like green gold which kinda intrigued me. On top of that, I bought a watch box some time ago from a local shop that needed a watch just like this to have a home.

Part of getting an ID prior to arrival is so I can search through my crystal stock or if I don't have one, order it (thanks Kurt).

Any sources you might suggest for a period clasp that I'd add to a grosgrain strap?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:06 am 

The Wadsworth serial number in this case begins with "51" which dates the case to approx 1926.

In case you're following along at home, I think Barney's sources for the white gold and price of $35 were the Gruen Stock Record Book of 1927 (page 2-27 589) and the 1930 portion of the Guild Watchmaker's Book (page 2-30 151). You'll also find it on page 152 of the Gruen Watch Catalog. That page verifies that the caliber 179 is the correct movement.

That makes it one of the earlier versions of the WR100 model because the case is from 1926 and the dates of the books you'll find the model in are from 1927 and 1930.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:06 pm 

Patrick,

don't expect a name for the watch or a style number for the crystal. Gruen started 1930 to consequently name watches with sales name, before 1930 they have just been categorized. So this watch was simply sold as a wristlet. Style numbers were not used for watches with regular round crystals. So you simply need to buy a crystal by diameter.

Mike, you are of cause correct, the sources were your mentioned books.

Barney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:32 pm 

Is this not considered to be a 179/1 when it comes to ordering crystals?

Take a look at page 482 of the Gruen Repairer's Reference. That part of the book has one of the earlier Gruen crystal catalogs. Square 22 has a 179/1 that looks like it's the same shape and size as the photo of the watch. Other crystal catalogs such as the Watchcraft crystals, list a 179/1. I'll see if I have one of these caliber 179 watches that I can measure to see if it matches the 179/1.

It's probably coincidence, but maybe it's the same?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:46 pm 

Much appreciated everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:21 am 

I looked at too many watches the last days. I thought the crystal was round, my apologies for the mess.