My new Gruen - Diamond Dial!

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
AdamITR

My new Gruen - Diamond Dial!

#1 Post by AdamITR » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Just picked this beauty up. Really stunning, and in great shape. Serviced too!

Barney Green

Re: My new Gruen - Diamond Dial!

#2 Post by Barney Green » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Nice watch but I have to admit that I doubt that this watch was produced as is.
The dial looks refinished as of a 1953 higher end 480 Autowind but this dial was as far as I know never put in one of those "plain" cases. It is a good looking watch, but someone seem to have married something here.

Just my two pennies...

AdamITR

#3 Post by AdamITR » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:31 am

Interesting ... just looks so complete to me. It came from a 80+yr old watch maker ... another photo:

Barney Green

#4 Post by Barney Green » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:37 am

Adam,

don't get me wrong. I really like the look of the watch, I simply doubt that it is original. I have seen three variants of watches with this dial, but never in this case. The dial was used in the higher end solid gold watches (with one gold filled exception). So I assume that the original case sadly went into the metling pot and someone gave the movement and dial a new home in this case not without refreshing the dial. This should have more than GRUEN PRECISION on it, if it is an autowind it should say so, and if it should be the 21 jewel variant it should also proudly carry the 21. Plus probably the Switzerland mark in case it is not the 21...

But: I am not the expert for gents Gruens, my expertise is more the ladies wristlets. Maybe someone else could defeat my assumptions.
I don't want to belittle your watch!

Bernd