Gruen lookalike?

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
royrogers

Gruen lookalike?

#1 Post by royrogers » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:42 pm

I have a watch that looks like a Gruen tank design, but has no name on the dial. The movement is DF&C, so it may have been replaced? I was wondering if anyone could shed light on whether this is junk or something more interesting. Thank you!

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/KQ9YZ

Barney Green

Re: Gruen lookalike?

#2 Post by Barney Green » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi,

nice watch but definitely no Gruen. Neither the movement nor the case are Gruen factories products.
The DF&C mark at the movement is the Dimier Freres & Cie mark. This was a Swiss / UK company. The company went out of business end of 1924, so your watch is to be dated before this point of time. The case is solid sterling silver which you can tell by the 925 sign.
The other marks are unfortunately too small so I can't really ID them and tell you more about the case.

Definitely no junk!

Barney

royrogers

#3 Post by royrogers » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks Barney, that's very helpful. It was the G as 6 that made me think this was Gruen; how did they get away with the design, I wonder? Anyway, I'm glad it's not junk.

afire

#4 Post by afire » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:54 am

I have a Gruen that has the same style of 6. Honestly, even on my actual Gruen, I think it's just coincidence that it looks like a G. I think it's really nothing more than a stylized 6.
Real men wear small watches.