Gruen wristwatch forums - gone

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
thojil

Re: Gruen wristwatch forums - gone

#31 Post by thojil » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 am

I can't agree more. As long as we all stick together the collective knowledge is not lost. For me it is just a good reason to spend some more time again on recreating posts. ;)

Over the last four years I did collect some of the information and edited it in Word files which I printed for my own reference. I never trusted to store information only digitally and still love to have information on paper. Call me old fashioned..... :lol:

MikeTheWatchGuy

#32 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 am

Public enemy #1 here. For those that haven't visited the site in the past, I'm "that guy" who you don't know but reference.

Having envisioned, designed, deployed, advertised, hosted, devoted and given many years of free research and a site, as well as expended much financially, I would like to make one suggestion. Rather than focus so much energy on clever technical projects, expressing so much anger, etc, I believe if you communicate with each other you will quickly find that all of the site is filling many many hard drives out there and you merely need to collectively give to one another.

The core members of the site know this and likely have a good chunk on their own hard drives.

I mean well, and hope for a great new iteration of the idea. There is no spite, ill-will, unexpressed hatred, or any other reasons than those stated on the site for me to move on and the site to close. I hope the same caring, understanding, warm community can once again be one.

-mike

Jenneke

#33 Post by Jenneke » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 pm

GaryM wrote:
Jenneke wrote:I didn't save the nice discussions and id photo's from the Gruen forum (but maybe Google cache will offer that) either, but do have some material that was posted over there. Like pictures/pdf's:
Je de beste!!! Your the best!!!
Great! You've been practising Dutch on your trip. I hope that is not a reflection of my English. ;)
You can only waste time if you forget to enjoy it - Loesje
Gruen Research

Dave

#34 Post by Dave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:28 pm

So I notice that there is a collection of Gruen books available from the same source that made the collective knowledge of the Gruen community unavailable online without notice. I'm just an observer of the Gruen world but that seems a bit calculated to me. :roll:

I don't know the history behind this so maybe somebody could explain it to me if I'm off base.

JackW

#35 Post by JackW » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Dave,

a bit off base yes.

Mike's new books are a collection of images from newspapers advertisements for individual Gruen watches. He has also taken the information from those newspaper ads and indexed them in several ways. It is pretty cool actually. In fact anything that Mike published was pretty heavily shared by him with those on the old forum. Mike's decision to take-down the forum, though lamentable I don't think was related to his publication history or plans for the future.

At this point I'd like to see this thread put to bed. I'd really don't want this thread I started to get out of hand. I intended it to just be a note to other past contributors to the old site to a) know it was permanent and b) that I was going to start posting here. I didn't think that people would begin to try to deconstruct motives. It is what it is. Just move on.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

Magpie

#36 Post by Magpie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Right you are, Jack, to the effect that what's done is done. However, I do think that the sudden termination of the Gruen forum, which was apparently done without apprising the members of that forum in advance, invited comments and speculation, especially given the continuation of the commercial aspects of the rest of that Gruen site, as Dave mentioned.

I hope that the now- "orphan" Gruenites will contribute here. Some of us who aren't hard-core Gruen collectors, but do collect them some, will enjoy the posts (and may actually be able to contribute a bit from time to time). Here's hoping that the Gruen knowledge base will reconstitute itself and prosper!

GaryM

#37 Post by GaryM » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:38 pm

For me is wasn't about the knowledge base, the data or the watches. People, people connected with each other. Like a corner bar that's been there since you could ever remember. People stopping by after work to see the regulars and some new folks who came and bought a round to break the ice. Unfortunately we'll never have that same atmosphere, here nor elsewhere. A new bar we'll have to find. Hopefully we can have to a place to go like that again.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.

Jack is right...Shut er down!

Dave

#38 Post by Dave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 pm

JackW wrote:Hi Dave,

a bit off base yes.

Mike's new books are a collection of images from newspapers advertisements for individual Gruen watches. He has also taken the information from those newspaper ads and indexed them in several ways. It is pretty cool actually. In fact anything that Mike published was pretty heavily shared by him with those on the old forum. Mike's decision to take-down the forum, though lamentable I don't think was related to his publication history or plans for the future.
Fair enough. The opinion of those most directly involved brings a more relevant perspective to the situation.
JackW wrote:At this point I'd like to see this thread put to bed. I'd really don't want this thread I started to get out of hand. I intended it to just be a note to other past contributors to the old site to a) know it was permanent and b) that I was going to start posting here. I didn't think that people would begin to try to deconstruct motives. It is what it is. Just move on.
As you wish, I will lock this thread and we can get back to the discussion of fine vintage timepieces.