Anybody here get the Ristside w/original band...

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
SFC

Anybody here get the Ristside w/original band...

#1 Post by SFC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 am

Ebay # 321075583724

I was tempted but no funds at the moment..looks like the band has some corrosion.
Still a pretty good price for a nice watch.

afire

Re: Anybody here get the Ristside w/original band...

#2 Post by afire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 am

That was a decent deal for somebody. I saw that one but didn't notice the band. You're right, that is original.
Real men wear small watches.

SFC

#3 Post by SFC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 pm

afire

The truth is I wasn't convinced the band was original even though it looks right..probably because the seller describes the band as "kreisler Gold Content .025".
I still have not found any info about how far these watch band companies go back..I am wearing a 1970 Bulova with its original kreisler band right now 8-)

When I saw this I was bummed out!
Ebay # 330851053801

afire

#4 Post by afire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Kreisler goes way back, at least to the 1920's, and I'm fairly certain Gruen has used them since that far back.

RogerNola

#5 Post by RogerNola » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Omigod. This watch is a presentation piece for a prize winner on the Morris B. Sachs Amateur Hour on WENR radio, which shared time with WLS in the Chicago area in the 30's and 40's. WLS eventually became one of the early rock & roll powerhouses in the nation.

And I think I remember the Sachs Amateur Hour as being partially sponsored by Gruen Watch Co. Those early radio ads still shape my perceptions of Gruen watches.

BTW, I own a Curvex from 1935 that has a Kreisler mesh (not expansion) bracelet marked Gold Content 025. I think it was the original band with that watch.
I have determined that my function in life
is to open and close doors for cats.

JackW

#6 Post by JackW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 am

Hi everybody!

This is not the first Gruen to have shown up on the swamp having once been a prize for the Morris B. Sachs show. I have seen some documents (the Gruen Time Magazine as well as Billboard from the 1930/40s) that specifically states that the show was sponsored by Gruen. Sachs's show wasn't the only one sponsored by Gruen either. 'Hello Sweetheart' was another, albeit short-lived show during the war with watches as prizes. As prizes go, this watch is the nicer ones of the couple I have seen. I'd agree with afire on the originality of the band. That or it is a factory replacement (i.e., ordered and received from Gruen). What is not original to the watch is the crystal. As point of interest I drive past the Morris B. Sachs building here in Chicago nearly on a daily basis.

There is good information (print so no links) that indicates Kreisler was supplying bands to Gruen in the 30's and into the 1950s. I've also seen some sales of NOS Gruens that have Kreisler bands. They were not the sole supplier but certainly seems to have been a major supplier. I have a Pan Am that has a Kreisler band but whether it is original or not is hard to say. Kreisler was also certainly available as replacement bands.

Rodger,
If you have pictures of your Gruen that you're willing to share, I'd love to see them (I'm sure others here too are). I like the earliest of the Curvex watches and especially if in a Wadsworth case with an inscription or dedication.

Cheers!
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

C. Hurt

#7 Post by C. Hurt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 am

RogerNola wrote:Omigod. This watch is a presentation piece for a prize winner on the Morris B. Sachs Amateur Hour on WENR radio, which shared time with WLS in the Chicago area in the 30's and 40's. WLS eventually became one of the early rock & roll powerhouses in the nation.

And I think I remember the Sachs Amateur Hour as being partially sponsored by Gruen Watch Co. Those early radio ads still shape my perceptions of Gruen watches.

BTW, I own a Curvex from 1935 that has a Kreisler mesh (not expansion) bracelet marked Gold Content 025. I think it was the original band with that watch.
I've owned several of the Sachs watches over the years, and my former (now retired) dentist actually won a Curvex Captain as grand prize on the show as a high schooler somewhere around 1950. I did a restoration on the watch for him.

I've never owned a men's Rist-Side with the Sach's engraving, but I do have this one, a ladies Rist-Side. It's bracelet is Kreisler as well, but I don't think it's original.

SFC

#8 Post by SFC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 am

C.Hurt
I think that there is a very good chance the band on your ladies Ristside is the original. Gruen definitely used triangle shaped end pieces on their ladies watches with metal bands. I have seen this in my reference material and many times on eBay as well. Not too long ago I saw a NOS ladies curvex that may have had the wgf version of the band on your watch. The fact that the band is Kreisler makes sense as well...

For some reason I have always thought kreisler was a younger company compared to Gemex, Flex-Let, etc. that you can find on Hamiltons. It turns out it was all in my head.. I guess I wasn't paying attention to details.

afire

#9 Post by afire » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 pm

The band on the watch below is an early Kreisler. I can't be 100% positive because I bought it separately, not with any Gruen watch, but I'm fairly confident it's the bracelet that Gruen advertised as the "Guild Band" in the late 20's and early 30's. They are very nice quality bracelets. I don't know about their later stuff, but their bands from that era are some of my favorites.

RogerNola

#10 Post by RogerNola » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 pm

JackW wrote:
Rodger,
If you have pictures of your Gruen that you're willing to share, I'd love to see them (I'm sure others here too are). I like the earliest of the Curvex watches and especially if in a Wadsworth case with an inscription or dedication.

Cheers!
Hi, Jack: Actually, I tried to do that yesterday, but for some reason I can't access photobucket right now. I think I have password issues, but I'll get it sorted out and post the shots, including the Kreisler band.

Roger
I have determined that my function in life
is to open and close doors for cats.