Some Curvex eye candy :D

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
C. Hurt

Re: Some Curvex eye candy :D

#21 Post by C. Hurt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35 am

Again illustrating the difficulty in matching real watches to the stylized drawings used in the early Gruen ads. If you'll notice, the two General ads appear to show different models, one considerably shorter than the other. Having actually owned and handled the models in question, I don't believe the case differences are that pronounced.

I do believe that the 330 295 was sold as the Peer as well, among a couple of other possibilities, although I have been corrected when I've made that assertion too. The General name may have been used when the watch was offered on a metal bracelet, just as the Majesty became the Colonel when a metal bracelet was attached.

Whatever it's name, it's a nice watch.

cmoy

#22 Post by cmoy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 am

Peer, General...I'm just glad it's on my little wrist today :D
C. Hurt wrote:Again illustrating the difficulty in matching real watches to the stylized drawings used in the early Gruen ads. If you'll notice, the two General ads appear to show different models, one considerably shorter than the other. Having actually owned and handled the models in question, I don't believe the case differences are that pronounced.

I do believe that the 330 295 was sold as the Peer as well, among a couple of other possibilities, although I have been corrected when I've made that assertion too. The General name may have been used when the watch was offered on a metal bracelet, just as the Majesty became the Colonel when a metal bracelet was attached.

Whatever it's name, it's a nice watch.
Chris

Bazzab

#23 Post by Bazzab » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 am

JackW wrote:
cmoy wrote:BTW the serial for the case, Wadsworth, is G063674. Would this mean my watch is from 1940?
No.

The data collected on this serial number indicates it would be earlier, sometime between 1937 and 1939.
Thats from the man that knows!
B

JackW

#24 Post by JackW » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Cmoy,

Table is here. There was also an article in the September 2012 NAWCC Bulletin on the topic.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

cmoy

#25 Post by cmoy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Awesome! Thanks Jack!
JackW wrote:Cmoy,

Table is here. There was also an article in the September 2012 NAWCC Bulletin on the topic.
Chris