T anyone????

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
Bazzab

T anyone????

#1 Post by Bazzab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Over the last few months there has a lot of discussion about who made the movements for Gruen?
For those who dont know, Gruen set up, in 1911 ,the Gruen Guild, which was among other things, an umbrella to cover all the watch movements that were used, which Gruen, did not manufacture
Aegler made several movements for Gruen, and in Gruens advertising of the period, the Aegler factory was shown as Gruen Guild Factory A

Fellow member Jack Woods has identified Guild Factory 'F' is Frey et Co.
Which leads to this

This is a a re cased Gruen it is a hinged chromed case, marked FRA Watch Co, which I can find no details
The thing about this , is the movement
As you can see its marked Factory T,
The other side is marked with what I believe may be a Swiss patent No and a movement no.but nothing else!
the "patent no" is 51482

Anyone any idea who Factory T maybe

Nookster

Re: T anyone????

#2 Post by Nookster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm

No clue but I am sure Cary H will know.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

C. Hurt

#3 Post by C. Hurt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:28 am

This is the first "Factory T" movement I remember seeing, although I will admit I haven't paid much attention to this in the past, and I have lots of old movements that I haven't adequately catalogued.

The patent is for a winding mechanism patented by Fontainemelon. I will dig out some of my old books to see if we can ID the movement and then the maker.

For what it's worth, and for those who don't know...

Factory A = Jules Aegler
Factory V = Rayville/Villeret
Factory M = Marc Favre
Factory F = Freco/Emil Frey

JackW

#4 Post by JackW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 am

Hello everyone,

Barry also posted this in the WUS vintage forum. I posted some speculation that this is potentially a Fontaine (FHF) movement. There is a remarkable similarity to the Bulova 9a. There is a thread on the MyBulova discussion board that brings up the possibility of a link to FHF and the Bulova, but nothing really hard as evidence. The similarities shown in the Swartchild catalog though might be good enough.
Last edited by JackW on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

C. Hurt

#5 Post by C. Hurt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 am

It may well be a Fontainemelon movement, since that's who the patent was owned by. Perhaps they became "Factory T" because "F" had already been assigned to Frey.

Jack, do you know a Gruen number for this one? I haven't been home to check the fingerprint catalogs.

JackW

#6 Post by JackW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:06 pm

C. Hurt wrote:Jack, do you know a Gruen number for this one? I haven't been home to check the fingerprint catalogs.
not 100% but it seems to match with the cal 266 which is a 10.5''' size movement. B has confirmed that is the size of his movement. The Bulova is 9-3/4'''.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me

GaryM

#7 Post by GaryM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Hey B! Not much more I can add about yours but pulled a similar one from the parts box. 220 493 on the face. Same patent number.

JackW

#8 Post by JackW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 am

Hey Gary,

Can you confirm the size of your movement?

GaryM

#9 Post by GaryM » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 am

Yes, 10.5" it is.

Bazzab

#10 Post by Bazzab » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Gary
Nice to see that we have a pair. there me thinking I had a very rare Gruen. :lol:
When I get the time, I will strip mine down see if its marked. unless you beat me to it!
I really would like to identify the makers of all the Guild movements,but then a man can have a dream :oops:
Cheers B