Email and response

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
Nookster

Email and response

#1 Post by Nookster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 pm

I got this email and it went like this. I don't get why some people that ask for help, then attack the messenger. Your thoughts

HIM: Have you ever seen a Gruen watch that didn't have any numbers or numerals on the face of the watch? The watch and band one
piece sterling silver.I deal in a lot of silver and coins. Most hong kong stuff pick up on a magnet at all. The band is that woven silver. They would still print Italy on the band?

ME: Need a picture

Him:Sorry for the poor resolution, all I have with me right now is my phone. I am at my parents place, he purchased the watch and I have never seen a Gruen like this. Tried to open the back of the
off, it slides out of the wrist band and the glass stays in the silver band.

ME:From a Gruen expert friend of mine

“I think these were made mid-70s, after Gruen shut down in the US but before Berger started putting the name on Hong Kong junk. I’d need to see the movement to be sure but it’s probably a 225
or close relative. I think they were using leftover stock movements and sourcing cases from wherever they could. I’ve seen some with French cases, some with Asian but still with Swiss Gruen movements."

HIM: Thanks for looking into it. I didnt know hong kong used 925 silver, I deal in a lot of silver and coins. Most hong kong stuff that says silver on it has metal mixed in with it. This doesnt
pick up on a magnet at all. The band is that woven silver. They would still print Italy on the band?

ME: No clue on band. Im not a Gruen guy

HIM: I took it to the watch place in town, dates back to 1938 it shows in the casing it was made in conde italy and it tested silver. Model number was 248. Thanks for the help.

HIM:1936 I mean.

ME: That style watch was not made in the 30's, just an FYI. Enjoy the watch.

HIM: Yes it was, I found it on the gruen website. It dated back to 1936. Found the serial number and style of calibur :) The watch guy even stated when it was made. I guess he knows quite a bit about Gruen too.

HIM: Your friend doesnt know XXXX (same as crap) to be honest.

ME: Dude you're rude.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

Barney Green

Re: Email and response

#2 Post by Barney Green » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm

:D :D :D :D

Yes, there are really funny people around who do not want to believe in reality.
Yes it will be silver, at least it least looks like.
I also believe that this case was made in Asia, and yes the watch is from the about 1975. No doubt at all.

Nookster

#3 Post by Nookster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 am

Those mirror type dials were not made in the 30's, that was my giveaway.
mark@vintagehamilton.com

GaryM

#4 Post by GaryM » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am

Hopefully that person shows up on our other forum. We'll set them straight for sure! :D

Gabe

#5 Post by Gabe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am

You guys misunderstood.

The watch place in town dates back to 1938.

The watch itself is from the 70's.

Just let him know he struck it rich, please, that Californy is the place he ought to be. :lol:

Barney Green

#6 Post by Barney Green » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Is there something to get wrong from this:
ME: That style watch was not made in the 30's, just an FYI. Enjoy the watch.

HIM: Yes it was, I found it on the gruen website. It dated back to 1936. Found the serial number and style of calibur :) The watch guy even stated when it was made. I guess he knows quite a bit about Gruen too.
Don't think so. Or did you find the store on the Gruen website? I would wonder...
But may be I just do not get it because being German my English language skills are just not good enough.

441victor

#7 Post by 441victor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 pm

The watch looks like it showed up in http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... 33&t=12395. stickly_M85 calls it a pocket watch. Is this your clueless silver and coin expert? Joel

Nookster

#8 Post by Nookster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:59 am

Yup, that was Mr. Rude.
mark@vintagehamilton.com