Question about Gruen Pocket Watch

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
stickley_M85

Question about Gruen Pocket Watch

#1 Post by stickley_M85 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I don't want to take the back off incase it breaks the watch, but I have one that is very old Id like to get some answers about. I will add a picture here shortly, but the face of the watch has no numbers at all, just the two hands, it says Gruen on it too and Swiss made. The band and the watch are all one piece sterling silver 925 marked on the back. It has what looks to be onyx stone on the wind up part. On the clasp of the band its stamped Italy, and on the back where it says Gruen, you can see each spot where they started the letters on the engraving.

JerseyMo

Re: Question about Gruen Pocket Watch

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 pm

stickley_M85 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:13 pm
I don't want to take the back off incase it breaks the watch, but I have one that is very old Id like to get some answers about. I will add a picture here shortly, but the face of the watch has no numbers at all, just the two hands, it says Gruen on it too and Swiss made. The band and the watch are all one piece sterling silver 925 marked on the back. It has what looks to be onyx stone on the wind up part. On the clasp of the band its stamped Italy, and on the back where it says Gruen, you can see each spot where they started the letters on the engraving.
gee - an old pocket watch with a band? as Dr. Evil would say - need the info!
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Barney Green

Re: Question about Gruen Pocket Watch

#3 Post by Barney Green » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 pm

It neither sounds like a pocket watch nor does it sound "very old", although this appears to be relative to who asks the question.
Sounds like a 70s watch to me with integrated bracelet from the description. SWISS MADE was not used much earlier than 1970 and Italian clasps or straps are also not that old when originally used at Gruen watches...
Definitely need pictures to tell you more.