Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
Gabe

Where to find hands for this Gruen?

#1 Post by Gabe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:38 pm

I hope someone here can help me.

This watch's minute hand broke in shipping:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 658 times

That circle at the end with the pointer apparently broke off in shipping.

I don't even want to wind the watch.

I will take it to my watch guy and see what he can do with it but I doubt he has replacement hands like this.

Any idea where I could get a replacement for this minute hand?

Is this likely an original hand?

Thanks a lot, in advance, for your response.

Barney Green

Re: Where to find hands for this Gruen?

#2 Post by Barney Green » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:53 am

Gabe,

yes, these are very likely the original hands. And they really easily break at the described point as the often have some erosion after 80 years...
It will not be easy to find exactly this type of hands as NOS but you might be lucky to find a movement with hands at ebay for a reasonable price. You just have to look out for them a while.

Barney

Gabe

#3 Post by Gabe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 am

Thank you, Barney!

Gabe

#4 Post by Gabe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:11 pm

So I know these are breguet hands.

Can anyone possibly help identify this "tank-style" model so I can find a replacement minute hand?

Barney Green

#5 Post by Barney Green » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:34 pm

It is almost impossible to Id the watch because at that time Gruen did not name their models. This looks like a "Strap 67" to me (I assume it is green gold filled). If it were a Nickel watch it were probably a "Strap 128". Strap 67 is from 1926, Strap 128 from 1929, names came up in 1930...
The only thing helping you is knowing the caliber used in your watch as this would determine the diameter of the mounting holes in the hands. Strap 67 most likely but not necessarily is based on a caliber 885. Strap 128 most likely would have a caliber 315 movement.

Gabe

#6 Post by Gabe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:46 am

Thank you again, Barney!

Wish me luck finding that hand.

afire

#7 Post by afire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I might have one. Can you let us know the caliber, and if possible length measured from the center of the hole to the point where it broke off?
Real men wear small watches.

Gabe

#8 Post by Gabe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you for your response, Afire.

I took it to my watch guy today and, although initially he thought that minute hand was just bent, it wasn't. It was falling apart.

As soon as he opened the watch, the hands were literally falling off the watch. For some reason, they were just in TERRIBLE condition.

He didn't understand why the movement looks decent enough, yet the hands are so bad. He thinks somebody probably tried cleaning the hands with a corrosive liquid and just put them back on before they fell apart.

He said I need a replacement black minute hand AND a replacement black second hand for a Gruen 825. Does that make sense?

I would be SO grateful, Afire, if you could help set me on the path to figuring out a source for reasonable replacements.

Do you think there was only one set of hands that originally came with this watch?

I tried looking it up on the ranfft.de site, but surprisingly, the Gruen 825 is not on that site.

afire

#9 Post by afire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm

The 825 isn't the most common caliber, which doesn't help. I have an original 1920s assortment of hands, but not sure if there's a vial for the 825. I'll check tonight. That said, I'm sure there some combination of other calibers would have the same hole sizes, the problem being I don't know of any chart for compatibility. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find. BTW, the 825 is on the Ranfft site, just listed under the umbrella 826 page.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... &Gruen_826
Real men wear small watches.

Gabe

#10 Post by Gabe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Thank you, afire.

I think the smart thing for me to do is to take it to my watch guy next week, have him open the watch, and I'll try to take a picture of the movement, in order to maybe confirm that it's really an 825.

Thank you for all your help.

Much appreciated.