Writing

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
hps

Re: Writing

#31 Post by hps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 am

Barney Green wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 am
Hi,

of cause it is of value. 50gramm of 18k gold are worth about $1500. Anyone should at least pay you this money. Plus the adder someone is willing to pay for the watch itself. And this varies between nothing to anything. But I would assume that you will get the middle between nothing and anything which is something :-)

Barney
:D Any idea what something could ca. be?

Hendrik

Barney Green

#32 Post by Barney Green » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Hendrik,

that really depends how badly someone wants this watch and how many competitors he has. To my experience this something is in the range between $50 and $500.

Barney

MikeTheWatchGuy

#33 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 am

Barney Green wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 am
To my experience this something is in the range between $50 and $500.
The beautifully sad truth of just how economical it is to collect Gruens. They're still low priced compared to other brands of similar quality.

hps

#34 Post by hps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:47 am

Ok thank you all

MikeTheWatchGuy

#35 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am

I think it's the ALPINA movement caliber.

Take a look at this Alpina-Gruen
Alpina Gruen.jpg
Alpina-Gruen Case
Alpina Gruen.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 571 times
It has an Alpina-Gruen case and stamped with 3 digits above the case serial number.

For this watch, they match.

Any chance the movement, in the Alpina catalog, is a caliber 50? Or, how about the movement was possibly changed by the owner later from Alpina to Gruen?

For the weight speculation.... was the metric system in heavy use in this era?

Barney Green

#36 Post by Barney Green » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Mike,

no way that it is the caliber number in this watch. Caliber 50 was long time gone when this watch was introduced. Remember this is a 1930s watch. It is a caliber V4.
There are other gold cases with the 50 with other movements as well. The numbers in the gold cases match with the weights which have been available for the watches.

I have now also checked my other 46 Alpinas. None of them has a caliber number stamped in.

Yes, the metric system was used in continental Europe since about 1870 (depending on countries there is a variation of about 10 years). Only GB did not want to play with the others, a traditional behaviour which lasts...

Barney

MikeTheWatchGuy

#37 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am

I'm talking about Caliber 50 ALPINA, not Gruen.

As far as timeframes, Alpina did business with Gruen into the 1930s from what I recall as Factory S in one document.

The Gruen Caliber 50 was made in Factory M... and yes, they ended those in the 1920s.

I'm going strictly on the data I have seen with my own eyes.

Other than this watch under identification, far I've seen ONE concrete example of an Alpina-Gruen case, with a number stamped directly above the Case Serial Number that matches the Movement Caliber number, and it matches the caliber.

I will also again renew my theory that perhaps the movement was upgraded to the V series after the case was made.

Can anyone post examples of the other theories? I've got evidence to back up this one... looking for evidence of the others but haven't found any yet...

Barney Green

#38 Post by Barney Green » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 am

There is no caliber 50 at Alpina. Caliber numbers are always 3 or 4 digits.

MikeTheWatchGuy

#39 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm

I see not particularly useful reason for stamping the weight of the case... in the case...
You've got the case already and can weigh it.

Information needs to be useful for it to make sense. Caliber number, Style Number both augment and add information that's not repeated. It tells you what should be there. Same with serial numbers adding information.

The guarantee on a case is another number stamped in to the gold plated cases.... again, added information.

Barney Green

#40 Post by Barney Green » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Mike,

it is a proof of that you gotr what you ordered. And the gold weight can not be determined without departing the watch which the end customer is not very often eager to do.

I can't proof that as I do not have a Alpina document showing that it is what I think. So it is a theory which you can take or leave. I have seen alomst 100 gold cases with the appropriate numbers stamped in and in most cases the number represented the actual weight minus about 20gramms.

And only sold gold cases do have that number. I have seen a few silver cases with numbers like 40, also here this could be the weight. But does not necessarily have to be.

Barney