Vintage Gruen Precision lume question

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
MattR

Vintage Gruen Precision lume question

#1 Post by MattR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 am

Hi,
I'm new to the Gruen forum, but I've been repairing vintage watches as a hobby for a few years. My wife found a nice Gruen Precision 25j automatic at a thrift store. It's in great condition though the crystal and inner bezel are loose, and it has a cheap strap on it, but otherwise it seems to be in pristine condition.

What I wanted to ask the experts here is about re-luming. I was thinking about trying to re-do the lume on the hands and maybe the markers on the outer ring. The dial markers themselves do not appear to have any lume on them. Does anyone know what color of lume would be most faithful to the original unit?

Thanks for any help!

Here's a photo of the watch itself:
gruen1 sm.jpg
gruen1 sm.jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 465 times

Tags:

Barney Green

Re: Vintage Gruen Precision lume question

#2 Post by Barney Green » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am

Hi Matt,

definitely light green lume for this model.
To me this model is one of the best designed watches of the early 70s.

Barney

MattR

#3 Post by MattR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks for the reply. I agree with the design of the watch. I wear it as a dress watch with a business suit, and I think it looks modern and stylish.

I'm debating whether it's worth it to spend $30-50 for a lume kit and another $25 for a nicer strap. I could use the lume kit for another Hamilton K454 that needs re-lumed also, I guess.

Barney Green

#4 Post by Barney Green » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 am

The amount of lume you need here should not cost you more than 2 bucks. And I easily spend $25 for the straps of the watches I wear. The leather straps last 2 to 3 years unless I change my watches more often (which I do). So, yes, I would spend the money.

JackW

#5 Post by JackW » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 pm

If you have never relumed the dial and hands on a watch, it takes some practice to get it down pat. If you are going to relume a watch every couple of years, it might be more worthwhile to send it to International Dial. They will do it for less then the cost of the luminova kit.

I relume my own dials and hands now, but was always happy with the lume jobs that ID completed for me.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton