Time Hill in High Resolution

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
prospex

Re: Time Hill in High Resolution

#11 Post by prospex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Thank you Mike for these pictures. It saddens me to think that most of these old pictures will, at some point, be destroyed, and no one will ever know their story... Such is technology I guess... and people's lack of interest.

MikeTheWatchGuy

#12 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:54 pm

prospex wrote:Thank you Mike for these pictures. It saddens me to think that most of these old pictures will, at some point, be destroyed, and no one will ever know their story... Such is technology I guess... and people's lack of interest.
You're quite welcome...one of the reasons for publishing these photos on the GW site is so that these photos will NOT disappear or be lost to future generations of watch collectors. Technology is making it possible to make backup copies of documents too. The Gruen Watch Catalog is very close to a clone of the original manuscript that was used to create the Gruen Master Book. Preservation and access are efforts that I feel strongly about, clearly :-)

We were fortunate with these photos being preserved rather than destroyed. It would have been much easier for the book dealer that owned these photos to throw them away than it was to pack them up and send them to me. But, thankfully he did a nice thing for future historians of Gruens. I did pay him for postage and a little bit more out of respect for his time and trouble. Seemed fair to me to in the least do that.

There does seem to be plenty of interest in Gruens, much more than I thought. That has been very encouraging. Maybe there's not a ton of ongoing research and posts happening in public forums, but there is plenty of web traffic that I am seeing and the prices on ebay for Gruens have remained stable with a lot of Gruen material flowing through there daily. 100's of new watches every day are listed for sale. It's a great time to be collecting Gruens!

I would like to find a permanent home for the paper photos. Some may to to the NAWCC library/museum and I am certainly going to be sending documents and books to Ohio libraries, but I am unsure if libraries will be interested in the photos. If you (i.e. the collective everyone version of 'you') know of photographic collections in Ohio libraries, please drop me a message.

MikeTheWatchGuy

#13 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:15 am

I was looking through the "Worthy Company of Watchmakers" book today and I noticed that many of the illustrations of Tine Hill looked familiar. So, I started to pair up some of the photos that I received and the book's illustrations. They are VERY similar. We know already from a calendar photographed in one of the photos, that at least that photo was taken in 1917. This fits well into the publication date of 1918 for the Worthy Company book.

I added 4 photos that are side-by-side comparisons that you can find on the High Res Photos page.

Here is a sample comparison. The illustration on the left is from page 9 of the Worthy Company book.

Perhaps a little artistic license was allowed on the tree age of a few trees ;)

Page 09 Side by Side.jpg
Page 09 Side by Side.jpg (694.07 KiB) Viewed 604 times

thojil

#14 Post by thojil » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:41 am

It looks indeed like the artist wasn't sitting outside with a sketch book on his lap when doning this :lol: