Dietrich Gruen Precision Watch - HELP!

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
MikeTheWatchGuy

Re: Dietrich Gruen Precision Watch - HELP!

#21 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 pm

The photos that thojil posted sum up my point about the higher technical workmanship. Pretty stunning examples of execution of high precision movements. Placed next to any of the movements from the 1940s and I think you'll be pressed to find much that stacks up, even to the eye of layperson. :shock: OK, maybe not THAT far, but close. :roll:

JackW

#22 Post by JackW » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:11 pm

watchdoc wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 pm
American companies in contrast were behemoths that seemingly reacted slowly to the fashion and economic realities even before the depression hit
I kinda have to disagree with you there Jack.

Have you seen, for example, the early advertising for Bulova? Their 20's/30's ads were full of "fashion" vs. "cutting edge mechanics" and I'm sure there are plenty more examples. ;)
Bulova is a good one to bring up, but like Gruen sourced movements from Switzerland even in the 20s and 30s. My "American Companies" was thinking more like Hamilton, Waltham, Elgin that were sourced almost exclusively in the US.

There are ads a plenty.... and clearly show that fashion was always the point for them. There was no pivot point for them as Mike is positing for Gruen. Gruen in contrast would advertise their technological changes... the Quadron... the Curvex and the VeriThin... and my point is the Gruen (IMHO) didn't just wake up and change their ways to being solely fashion driven, but reacted to economic stresses and changed lots of things.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

JackW

#23 Post by JackW » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 pm

MikeTheWatchGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 pm
The photos that thojil posted sum up my point about the higher technical workmanship. Pretty stunning examples of execution of high precision movements. Placed next to any of the movements from the 1940s and I think you'll be pressed to find much that stacks up, even to the eye of layperson. :shock: OK, maybe not THAT far, but close. :roll:
Fully agree there.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

MikeTheWatchGuy

#24 Post by MikeTheWatchGuy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I was going through the watches and movements found in the "Worthy Company" book.

Gosh, what a FORK IN THE ROAD Gruen faced and took!

This Dietrich Gruen model I think may be the pinnacle of Gruen's early movement work. Nothing else came close after this watch, in my opinion, in terms of master-craftsmanship. I'm not knocking Gruen for taking the fiscally-responsible path of profit :-)

The prices have been mentioned in this thread already, but it's not until you really look at those prices that you can really appreciate what this watch is and has.

The options and prices shown in the 1918 price list for "The Dietrich Gruen Model" are staggering. You can use the Inflation Calculator on the GruenWristwatches homepage to convert these prices into 2017 prices. I did and was BLOWN AWAY by

With Winding Indicator as illustrated $315
In Verithin Size $385
In 12 Size without Indicator $290
With MINUTE Repeater $580
With Minute Repeater and Split Second $825

I would LOVE to have a Gruen Repeater! WOW...
OK, let's see those 1918 prices in 2017 dollars
Inflation Calculator.jpg
Inflation Calculator.jpg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 59 times

$315 =====> $ 5,500
$385 =====> $ 6,800
$290 =====> $ 5,100
$580 =====> $ 10,200
$825 =====> $ 14,500

Those costs I view more as technology costs, not precious metals. OK, so it's ALSO an 18K gold case, but still, I think you're paying for the complications :-) No mention of the case at all in fact in those descriptions. Other cases in the Worthy Company book are most certainly the for 18K gold and platinum cases. One Platinum case watches sold for $1,235 or a staggering $21,700 in modern money.

afire

#25 Post by afire » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:34 am

MikeTheWatchGuy wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 pm
Those costs I view more as technology costs, not precious metals. OK, so it's ALSO an 18K gold case, but still, I think you're paying for the complications :-)
I agree entirely. Even in the wristwatch section with no complications, the price for the Extra Precision Military Square couldn't remotely be explained by the 18k case. Even in the lesser models, the prices clearly vary well beyond what could be attributed to case materials. Apparently the finer movements commanded significantly higher prices.
Real men wear small watches.