Vintage Bulova rotating center, help please

Vintage Bulova Watch Discussion Forum
thumpinhard25

Vintage Bulova rotating center, help please

#1 Post by thumpinhard25 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Hello, first thanks for your help. I just inherited a vintage Bulova from my grand parents and was trying to find out more information on it. It is a Bukova 23 Jewels self winding, however there is no traditional hour hand. The center section of the watch rotates. I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out the year and model of it. I can not find any similar ones online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 922 times

watchdoc

Re: Vintage Bulova rotating center, help please

#2 Post by watchdoc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:48 am

Often referred to as a "Mystery Dial".

There should be a date code on the back of the watch.

L followed by a number such as LO would indicate 1950. etc

M followed by a number is for the 60's

N followed be a number is for the 70's and so on.

You'll need to open the watch and get all the info off the movement.

Here is the chart for movements prior to the 50's
Movement Symbols and Codes.JPG
Movement Symbols and Codes.JPG (37.32 KiB) Viewed 912 times
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

thumpinhard25

#3 Post by thumpinhard25 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi. Thanks for the info. Mystery dial seems to pop up now when I search the Internet. It looks like it says L9 on it. Does the number indicated the year? So 1959? It's a neat watch for sure. Is there much value to the Bulovas? Seems like most are only a couple hundred dollars. I actually received it, an omega 14311, and one that we almost threw away that was laying on the garage that says Fontain. I opened the back of th Fontain and it says Sorroeity watch Co. Swiss ever heard of it?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 896 times

thumpinhard25

#4 Post by thumpinhard25 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:07 pm

It only loaded 1 photo. Here's the front of the Fontain.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 896 times

watchdoc

#5 Post by watchdoc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:13 pm

I know absolutely nothing about Fontain, maybe someone else will chime in on it. I mainly collect Bulova's and the majority of my collection are from the 20's through the 60's.

L9 is indeed 1959.

You should find a watchmaker (not a jeweler) and have the Bulova serviced with a clean, oil, and adjustment prior to wearing it, even if it's currently running.
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

Tom Haas

#6 Post by Tom Haas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:15 am

thumpinhard25 wrote:Hello, first thanks for your help. I just inherited a vintage Bulova from my grand parents and was trying to find out more information on it. It is a Bukova 23 Jewels self winding, however there is no traditional hour hand. The center section of the watch rotates. I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out the year and model of it. I can not find any similar ones online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Vintage Bulova from grand parent - It is an honor for you :D . I do not know anything about the model watches Bukova 23 Jewels.Yesterday, I tried to find information and came across an interesting articles, here it is http://jonsguide.org/best-top-bulova-pr ... s-reviews/ for model 2016, and http://www.watchophilia.com/general-inf ... 23-series/for you about Bukova 23 Jewels. :oops: I like this model watches very much.