Excited about this watch! (Some questions though...)

Vintage Bulova Watch Discussion Forum
GLOCKer

Excited about this watch! (Some questions though...)

#1 Post by GLOCKer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Last summer, at my grandmother's funeral, my parents gave my my great-grandfather's Bulova. I haven't been able to positively identify it, but I believe it to be a 1945 Time King (although from what I've seen from another forum, that particular watch isn't solidly confirmed to exist). I have no real interest in the value; I'm more concerned about how much will it cost to fix back up.

I'd like the 10K Gold Filled case repaired (it has a few dings and gouges out of it), the crystal polished, the band replaced (it's plastic and crumbling), and the movement tuned up (it runs but looses about 5 minutes a week). Can anybody tell me how much to expect to pay for this kind of restoration?

Also, can anybody positively ID it?

Thank you!!!

watchdoc

Re: Excited about this watch! (Some questions though...)

#2 Post by watchdoc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Based on the first digit of the serial number on the case back "3" and the date code on the movement "X" which both put this watch at 1943 I'd lean towards "Broadcaster" as the model with a dial variant.

Depend on where you live, a clean, oil, and adjust will run you up to a couple hundred bucks from a reputable watchmaker.

I've got a couple of these and are nice watches. You've got a great heirloom watch there, congrats! :D
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

stryfox

#3 Post by stryfox » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Uh oh. I stoped by here for help with my grandfathers watch. I got bit by the watch bug and now have well over 300
Heirloom pieces are the best. I could part with just about any of my watches except my family pieces. I wear my grandfathers watch every Father's Day.
If you plan on wearing it and passing it down get it serviced.
If you don't plan on using it just clean it up and display it.

GLOCKer

#4 Post by GLOCKer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks! I plan on wearing it for nice occasions. I figure nice dinners out, formal night on the cruise ship, family gatherings, etc.

watchdoc

#5 Post by watchdoc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:18 am

GLOCKer wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:28 am
Thanks! I plan on wearing it for nice occasions. I figure nice dinners out, formal night on the cruise ship, family gatherings, etc.
Wear it in good health and share it and the story behind it with as many as possible! ;)
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

GLOCKer

#6 Post by GLOCKer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm

watchdoc wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:18 am
GLOCKer wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:28 am
Wear it in good health and share it and the story behind it with as many as possible! ;)
Thank you sir!!!

Actually, the weekend I got it, I learned about my great-grandfather during my grandmother's funeral service.

He emigrated to America from Germany and eventually ended up as a brew master. He did the brewery thing through the prohibition days out of a dress factory in northern PA. At one time organized crime elements had issues with the people he was working with/for, so he sent his wife and kids back to Germany in an effort to keep them safe. While his family was in Germany, he met and married another woman, while never having had gotten formally divorced. Eventually his other family moved back from Germany, and there was a lot of uncomfortable friction there! LOL He died of a heart attack at a social event (some sort of formal dance) with a third woman he wasn't married too but was seeing in secret on the side!!! Over the past five years, my parents gave me that watch and (earlier) the beer stein he brought over from Germany. He had an interesting story!!!!

watchdoc

#7 Post by watchdoc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Sounds like you've got "more" family out there somewhere..... :o
Cecil B. DeMille