Family Heirloom, Looking for Information

Vintage Bulova Watch Discussion Forum
JustMLE

Family Heirloom, Looking for Information

#1 Post by JustMLE » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:56 pm

This is a watch that was given to me before my wedding several years ago. I know very little about it, but I'd love to know more.

Photo isn't the best, but would be happy to post better quality if anyone is interested. I know they are real diamonds and 14k white gold.
Attachments
IMG_9007.jpg
IMG_9007.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 120 times

afire

Re: Family Heirloom, Looking for Information

#2 Post by afire » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am

Watches like this are tough to identify. These little cocktail watches enjoyed a 30+ year run of popularity, and a dizzying amount of models were produced. Add to that the practice of jewelers taking movements and recasing them in custom gold, platinum and diamond cases so that sometimes the watch isn't any model at all.
Real men wear small watches.

Paleotime

Re: Family Heirloom, Looking for Information

#3 Post by Paleotime » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am

There is likely a date code stamped on the back (most Bulova watches after 1949 have them on the outside back). This date code will consist of a letter and a number (L3 for example). The letter designates a decade and the number the year in that decade. The 1950s were stamped with an L, the 1960s with an M, and so on. So for example L3 would be the code for 1953.

Once you have the year you can begin the hunt for the model name, but as mentioned above this is tricky with the small ladies cocktail models.

Lovely watch BTW.
"Percentage players die broke too..." - Fast Eddie in the Hustler