Bulova Treasurer model 6AE from 1936.

Vintage Bulova Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Bulova Treasurer model 6AE from 1936.

#1 Post by 441victor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Usually ebay’s search engine has no concept of what other watches are a “match” to a mid-30s Art Deco Elgin or what watches I will also “like”. There are times though that I will click on suggested auctions that catch my eye just to see where the random walk will lead me. Once in a while something interesting does pop up like this Bulova.

Bulova made an impressive number of different movements They are grouped into families identified by a number indicating their size along with one or two letters. Letter codes are appended that indicate complications. For example the 10cpacd is a 10 ligne movement from the ap family with automatic winding, center second and date complications. When Bulova moved some of their production to the US, they limited the movements that were made here to a couple of dozen 10 and a few 7 and 8 ligne models. There were also some lady’s movements produced but I’m not familiar with those since I’m not a collector. Every once in a while I will find a man’s watch with a new to me USA marked movement like this one.

It's a model 6ae in a very nicely designed Bulova 10kgf case. Tonneau shaped movements made possible the long, thin case forms that are iconic to this era. The Gruen Curvexes, the Hamilton Linwood, Sutton and Dickens and the Elgin Clubman and Campus series. Searching on the MyBulova site I found ads for a model named the Treasurer. It and the 6ab, 6ae and 6af movements were produced and sold in the US in the middle 30s.

The dial has no numerals, just embossed gold bar markers with a RR track minutes registry linking their inner points.and thin baton minute and hour hands. The case has significant wear on the edges of the back but gets away with just touches of brassing on the thin rectangular frame of the bezel.

I’ve spent years refining my ebay search techniques but still find significant watches by blind luck. For me collecting would be a lot more of a grind without these happy accidents.

Joel

semroc

Re: Bulova Treasurer model 6AE from 1936.

#2 Post by semroc » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Very cool! I like those gold bar markers, and that dial.

owch

Re: Bulova Treasurer model 6AE from 1936.

#3 Post by owch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:03 pm

x2
Looks very good.