1948 Elgin Back on my wrist

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
liveinthefens

1948 Elgin Back on my wrist

#1 Post by liveinthefens » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:34 am

A few of you may remember the seven watch set I purchased, all not working and some in a bit of a state.
http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... =30&t=9310

This is the 1st of three that I have had repaired, I still need some parts for the others.
That Parkton dial is eluding me at present so if any of out there have a spare you would like to part with, helping me bring another one back to life then please contact me.

Greg had a bit of a time with this one as it had a broken staff. Thanks go to Kurt for supplying a new one but unfortunately it would not fit an explanation of Greg's work is below.

"Be aware, the broken staff in the Lord Elgin will have occurred due to it being dropped. These watches have no shock absorption at the balance ends so sudden impact easily breaks pivots, such as being dropped. Unfortunately I couldn't get the balance to swing with the staff you sent. It's the correct staff but probably due to damage to the cock it doesn't now fit. It's therefore quicker to use a blank staff and turn it down to the desired size. Then using a shim to compensate for the cock distortion which lifts the jewel position the balance swings freely. The blank is already half turned but with no pivot ends finished and is made for the Elgin and the similar movements.

I did look at buying another staff. They all vary slightly so another may have worked fine. However I carry a large number of blanks in stock so finding the right size wasn't too difficult. The turning and fitting time was around 3 hours. I'll send the other staff back.

I don't rivet it to the balance wheel until checked in situ. With spring and roller pinion off the balance is put in place and cock secured. It's then rotated in all positions and should run freely. Your staff didn't and wouldn't. I did consider polishing the pivots down but they're likely to break as they have been hardened. The blanks are semi-hardened to allow turning and finishing and are then hardened on completion using case hardening powder.

I'd probably have spent more time adapting the Elgin staff rather than turning my own. Praise be the 6mm watchmakers lathe!

Balance staff replacement is always tricky and getting the movement to run properly afterwards very time consuming, particularly position the double roller and the balance spring to achieve the correct beat error.

I've just had a very similar case with a Longines 490 where another very good repairer had fitted a new staff (bespoke Longines staff) only to find it was way too tall. He permitted the customer to send it to me as his hands tremble to a point where he can longer turn a staff himself and I've done exactly the same job."

Thanks to Greg.
That is another one saved I love the light blue dial which may have been re dialed at some time but I like it just for being different.
Just got to try and find an ad for it.
Attachments
Front Back Face.jpg
Front Back Face.jpg (994.25 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Movement  V652051 1948.jpg
Movement V652051 1948.jpg (877.12 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Blue face wrist shot.jpg
Blue face wrist shot.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 268 times
life is 100% fatal, so get on with it.

grumpyguy

Re: 1948 Elgin Back on my wrist

#2 Post by grumpyguy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:04 am

Love seeing them brought back to life!
liveinthefens wrote:A few of you may remember the seven watch set I purchased, all not working and some in a bit of a state.
http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... =30&t=9310

This is the 1st of three that I have had repaired, I still need some parts for the others.
That Parkton dial is eluding me at present so if any of out there have a spare you would like to part with, helping me bring another one back to life then please contact me.

Greg had a bit of a time with this one as it had a broken staff. Thanks go to Kurt for supplying a new one but unfortunately it would not fit an explanation of Greg's work is below.

"Be aware, the broken staff in the Lord Elgin will have occurred due to it being dropped. These watches have no shock absorption at the balance ends so sudden impact easily breaks pivots, such as being dropped. Unfortunately I couldn't get the balance to swing with the staff you sent. It's the correct staff but probably due to damage to the cock it doesn't now fit. It's therefore quicker to use a blank staff and turn it down to the desired size. Then using a shim to compensate for the cock distortion which lifts the jewel position the balance swings freely. The blank is already half turned but with no pivot ends finished and is made for the Elgin and the similar movements.

I did look at buying another staff. They all vary slightly so another may have worked fine. However I carry a large number of blanks in stock so finding the right size wasn't too difficult. The turning and fitting time was around 3 hours. I'll send the other staff back.

I don't rivet it to the balance wheel until checked in situ. With spring and roller pinion off the balance is put in place and cock secured. It's then rotated in all positions and should run freely. Your staff didn't and wouldn't. I did consider polishing the pivots down but they're likely to break as they have been hardened. The blanks are semi-hardened to allow turning and finishing and are then hardened on completion using case hardening powder.

I'd probably have spent more time adapting the Elgin staff rather than turning my own. Praise be the 6mm watchmakers lathe!

Balance staff replacement is always tricky and getting the movement to run properly afterwards very time consuming, particularly position the double roller and the balance spring to achieve the correct beat error.

I've just had a very similar case with a Longines 490 where another very good repairer had fitted a new staff (bespoke Longines staff) only to find it was way too tall. He permitted the customer to send it to me as his hands tremble to a point where he can longer turn a staff himself and I've done exactly the same job."

Thanks to Greg.
That is another one saved I love the light blue dial which may have been re dialed at some time but I like it just for being different.
Just got to try and find an ad for it.
See my watches here: http://grumpyguyinc.com