Lord Elgin's @ 21,600 BPH

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
diveboy

Lord Elgin's @ 21,600 BPH

#1 Post by diveboy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I promised at the end of last year I would make this a bonza year for Elgin, heres the first of a few discoveries that are gonna spin the Elgin collectors community as well as other collector communities.

I brought these three gems last year and got around to testing them over the Christmas break, they are out of an estate, the guy was one of Elgin's wholesale salesmans, so I don't have any concerns about them not being direct from the factory, they are all stamped Timed and cased by Elgin National Watch Co and have a 4 digit case number, have their factory label on the case back and factory Elgin bands. the case models are listed in the case components book, so everything is above board.

They are running un-marked Elgin Grade 977 movements (they are marked Elgin but no grade number) which are ETA 2510 17 jewel movements, so not only do we have Lord Elgins running above 18,000BPH but also less than 23 jewels which was the standard for Lord Elgins at the time.

Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

grumpyguy

Re: Lord Elgin's @ 21,600 BPH

#2 Post by grumpyguy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Michael, your dedication and sleuthing abilities simply astound me.

Just as an aside, Revue Thommen, which relaunched itself pulled their in house movements out of retirement, most of which run at 18,000 bph. Orient, which I have a number of, run at 21,000 bph, and Tissot, aka ETA has their new Powermatic 80 movements, which run at only 21,000 bph to achieve an 80 hour power reserve--have two of them, they are pegged at the factory and keep fantastic time.

Very interesting to see the cycle.

Thank you for all you do!

Bryan
See my watches here: http://grumpyguyinc.com

stryfox

Re: Lord Elgin's @ 21,600 BPH

#3 Post by stryfox » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:44 pm

There are still many things to discover.
Very awesome indeed Michael.