Question For Other Elgin Fans!

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
GeneJockey

Question For Other Elgin Fans!

#1 Post by GeneJockey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:22 am

Hey guys (and gals, if there are any), how do y'all feel about alerting the group to listings on Ebay for interesting Elgins? We don't have to worry about pissing off sponsors here, but I do know that on some sites, they don't want people mentioning listings because it might make it harder for members to get bargains.

So, whaddya think? Shall we alert each other to interesting listings?
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

vintagehamiltons

Re: Question For Other Elgin Fans!

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 am

That's a tough question to answer. Hard to call dibs on something since we're all friendly rivals when it comes to adding to our collections. If it's something I don't need, but I know someone else does, I'd alert that person. If I don't know if anyone is after an interesting/rare/scarce model that I don't need (or can't afford :roll:), then I have no problem alerting others via the forum.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

HamiltonIllinois

#3 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm

I normally try hard not to discuss auctions that I plan to bid on. But, if I see something out of my price range or that I think someone here NEEDS to get, I try to highlight it.
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

Nookster

#4 Post by Nookster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 pm

As most here know, I go for most Hammy's on the bay. I am an active bidder and really don't point stuff out, as I hope others don't see it, but I surely point it out when I am selling one.

M
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

salleh

#5 Post by salleh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

well, that's an interesting question .......and I have no doubt that if one of us said check this watch out and oh by the way I have dibs....we'd all respect that ....however, there is that little fact that there are total strangers reading this too !...and they might not be so mannerly .....

and while I am thinking of it ....thanks to all the guys who answered questions about watches in PMs that I was interested in but felt weird about going public .....* Salleh gathers all her experts round and gives them fudge and hugs *

ANyway, as I find myself getting more and more of you all straight in my head and who likes what , and who wants what ....( and with a mind like Swiss Chees, it does require more than a little effort on my part....living with ADD ain't for sissies....) ..I love to say ,...ooooo check this out ....

so much that you all may get a little tired of it once I get on a roll.....

and it does feel a little wierd , like what ? getting out of Catholic school or something ....no stern overseerer looking over our shoulders ready to pounce lest we "offend " the almighty sponsors......with innocent posting of interesting watches .....
What a long strange trip it's been......

salleh

#6 Post by salleh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 pm

aaannnd ....leave us face it .....half the fun of snagging a killer new watch is that you snagged it under the very chins of someone here ! ....mwahahahah !
What a long strange trip it's been......

HamiltonIllinois

#7 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm

salleh wrote:aaannnd ....leave us face it .....half the fun of snagging a killer new watch is that you snagged it under the very chins of someone here ! ....mwahahahah !
S,

You need to give us an update on your Elgin E-12 enamel bezel!! There is an Elgin E-series discussion here that is BEGGING for you to show us this watch! :)

Regards,

R
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

gretschbigsby

#8 Post by gretschbigsby » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 am

This is a good question....

I am an administrator of a forum dedicated to Martin acoustic guitars. Our forum has developed into one of the finest resources for vintage acoustic guitars on-line-- there really is nothing else like it.

Much of our vintage section involves discussing guitars that are for sale on eBay and other places. On guitar forums, an issue sometimes arises in the tension between owning to play, versus owning to collect/invest/resale. For most vintage guitar buyers, ownership is a combination, but you will find collectors who cannot play their instruments.

Anyway, the discussion of guitars for sale has been a major source of information and education for the vintage community. It has also saved people from reckless purchases and misrepresentations in the listings. So, overall, it has been an positive experience.

Still, it is hard not to grumble when that item that you think no one else has noticed comes up for discussion.... More people are following these things than we think!

Bob

GeneJockey

#9 Post by GeneJockey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 am

Hmmmm. Okay, sounds like a good policy is to publicly point out bad listings and privately inform others of nice ones you're not going for yourself.

Everyone forget the Stratford I mentioned the other day... :roll:
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

Nookster

#10 Post by Nookster » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am

GeneJockey wrote:Hmmmm. Okay, sounds like a good policy is to publicly point out bad listings and privately inform others of nice ones you're not going for yourself.

Everyone forget the Stratford I mentioned the other day... :roll:
You're way off. It's not anyone's business what you want to buy and you don't need to point out what you are buying to anyone, nor help anyone if you choose not to. If someone post a watch on Ebay or some other place and needs help, they will get the help. There are several in here that don't need any help whatsoever in finding, looking and evaluating watches, and then there are some that need the help, and we gladly give it. I have never pointed out a watch I am buying to others as I am looking to buy it right.

If others want to call out a Franken, it's funny and makes for good conversation. Some of those Frankens end up having great parts for not a lot of money.

Hope this helps.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast