Need help identifying a vintage Elgin watch

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
bray

Need help identifying a vintage Elgin watch

#1 Post by bray » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:06 pm

I have a vintage Elgin self winding watch that I can't find any information on. I was hoping that someone here might be able to give me some information by looking at a couple pictures.

I took it to my local jeweler to have it evaluated and they weren't able to find any info either. It is working great so I hate to open it up to find the serial numbers.

It has 2 crowns. One of which operates the internal rotating bezel. I have spent hours looking online and have not been unable to find any Elgin watch like it. The closest I have come to finding a watch similar is a Longines diving watch from the early 60s. I would love more information and an idea on value if any. Info or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Elgin1.jpg
Elgin1.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Elgin2.jpg
Elgin2.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 120 times

GeneJockey

Re: Need help identifying a vintage Elgin watch

#2 Post by GeneJockey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 am

This watch looks to be from after Elgin stopped production in Illinois. We have very little information about models, names, etc after that time. In 1969, the company collapsed and became little more than a name and set of trademarks, so "Elgins" from after 1969 are only marginally related to the original company. This is probably why nobody has responded.

We could tell you more, if you could take off the back and photograph the movement and the inside caseback. Genuine Elgin products, even those made abroad, should have a 4-digit case model number, and "Cased and Timed by Elgin Nat'l Watch Co." on the inner caseback. Also, on the movement should be "YXY", Elgin's import code.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo