Is this Lord Elgin Authentic?

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
Begintage

Is this Lord Elgin Authentic?

#1 Post by Begintage » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Hello everyone, a couple days ago I thought I stumbled across a Lord Elgin Star Glo on eBAY that I impulse bought(that dial :shock: ). There were somethings off about the watch that I just kinda brushed off until I started digging deeper into it. As you guys can see, in the seller's photo of the dial the sweeping seconds hand is surrounded by markers which is something I have yet to see in pics of other Star Glo watches. Another thing is that the watch runs on the calibre 555 17j movement which I found suspicious because isn't the lord elgin line in the 1950's run on the 680 21j movement? I am new to collecting vintage watches and I would love more experienced opinions on the authenticity of this watch; as it is arriving next week and the seller has a 14 day return policy on it. Thanks!
Dial.JPG
Dial.JPG (43.96 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Movement.JPG
Movement.JPG (63.69 KiB) Viewed 200 times
BackPlate.JPG
BackPlate.JPG (70.59 KiB) Viewed 200 times
FrontCase.JPG
FrontCase.JPG (52.07 KiB) Viewed 200 times
BackCase.JPG
BackCase.JPG (60.69 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Tags:

GeneJockey

Re: Is this Lord Elgin Authentic?

#2 Post by GeneJockey » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm

The dial, case, and hands are correct. The movement should be a 680. Lord Elgin wrist watches were all 21j until 1957.

The 555 was an Elgin De Luxe movement Elgin made from 1940 till about 1951 or so, when it was replaced by the 682.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

GeneJockey

#3 Post by GeneJockey » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm

BTW, you can often find orphaned 680s on Ebay, stripped out of gold cases.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

grumpyguy

#4 Post by grumpyguy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Like Genejockey says, the movement is incorrect. That's easy to fix. The model is called Star-Glo.

Here it is from a catalogue

See my watches here: http://grumpyguyinc.com

441victor

#5 Post by 441victor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 pm

First, welcome to the forum. You have already heard from two of the most knowledgeable Elgin collectors here so you have the lowdown on your Star-Glo's movement. Your dial question still remains. I believe your doubts are correct and this dial has been reprinted at some point. I agree that there should be no index markings around the second hand and further the Dura-Balance logo would be more refined on an original dial. Depending on how you feel about owning a Star-Glo, it is probably worth restoring by replacing the 555 and having the dial correctly reprinted. Another option would be attempting to remove the seconds markings. As many times as I have inadvertently removed the printing on a dial that I was attempting to clean, I think it would be fairly easy to make this one look more correct. If you decide to go with a reprint there would be little danger in trying. Joel