Where can I find information on Elgin Thrift series and Waltham Chevalier Deco period watches

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
jmkerdoc

Where can I find information on Elgin Thrift series and Waltham Chevalier Deco period watches

#1 Post by jmkerdoc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 am

Hello. I am new to this forum and have been collecting watches for about 5 years. Over that time my tastes and interests have changed. I started with Trench watches and gradually moved to Deco period watches (Gruen, Elgin, Waltham, and Illinois). Over the past few months I have obtained a couple of Waltham Chevalier watches (blue and black bezel) as well as an Elgin Thrift 433. I would love to learn more about the Elgin Thrift series and the enamel dial watches of the period. I can't find anything on the net other than a single ad for a Waltham Chevalier. Is there any reference text, site, or information to learn more about this series and style of watch? Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

Magpie

Re: Where can I find information on Elgin Thrift series and Waltham Chevalier Deco period watches

#2 Post by Magpie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:37 am

Welcome to the forum!

For information on the Thrift Series, you might look at my catalog pages that are posted here: http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... =30&t=5001

The Thrifts are on pages 13 and 14 of the catalog in question (page numbers are upper righthand corner).

The Illinois Watch Company also had some enameled-bezel models. For these, look at Fred Friedberg's new book, The Illinois Watch and Its Hamilton Years. Illinois had a Chevalier in a case like the Waltham.

jmkerdoc

Re: Where can I find information on Elgin Thrift series and Waltham Chevalier Deco period watches

#3 Post by jmkerdoc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks so much for the info. I initially longed for an Illinois Chevalier and have a few Illinois watches but happened upon the Walthams and Elgin at a decent price. I know Fred has a Chevalier on his website for sale and a Waltham Enamel Tonneau along with many other beauties.

jmkerdoc

#4 Post by jmkerdoc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:32 pm

That catalog is sensational. Elgin had some amazing designs. That you so much for the link. This was so helpful!!!!

Gabe

#5 Post by Gabe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:04 am

The Waltham Chevaliers do show up on eBay with some frequency.

jmkerdoc

#6 Post by jmkerdoc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks Gabe. I actually bought the 2 Chevaliers on eBay. The blue bezel is a bit rough but the dial is decent. I will try and look out for a blue bezel to replace my pitted one if something comes along. I saw a Deco Benrus enamel dial watch on Etsy for a hefty ask. Thanks for all the input on the forum. I have enjoyed great support in this community from Fred with Illinois watches and Stan with Waltham and Elgin Trench watches and their books and now this forum. Wonderful!

leibo

#7 Post by leibo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Well, just don't talk about the Chevaliers, show some pictures! I find the Elgins to be some of the most interesting designs in the deco period and also available at a fair price.

jmkerdoc

#8 Post by jmkerdoc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks again for the conversation. I love the look of all the enamel bezel deco watches of the period. Hopefully, when funds allow, an Illinois Chevalier too , maybe the Benrus Blue Enamel Dial, and if dreaming really big, a Hamilton Piping Rock.
Attachments
IMG_1799.JPG
Elgin Thrift 433
IMG_1799.JPG (69.6 KiB) Viewed 374 times
IMG_1800.JPG
Waltham Black Dial
IMG_1800.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 374 times
IMG_1802.JPG
Waltham Blue Dial
IMG_1802.JPG (81.37 KiB) Viewed 374 times

leibo

#9 Post by leibo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:50 pm

I really want the Elgin Thrift 433 (yours) and the Thrift 440 (Arabic numerals). Thanks to one of the other members on the forum, I have the 449 (roman numerals).

I've missed on the 449 a few times on eBay...

The Piping Rock was one of my first purchases almost 25 years ago...

jmkerdoc

#10 Post by jmkerdoc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:39 am

Yes. I've seen the 449 come up either very expensive or in really rough condition. I just had a 403 repaired that I bought for $30 on eBay. It's a nice solid watch and didn't realize it was in the thrift series. Love the series names: Touchdown, Homerun, States, Campus, and sadly Senior series (for me).