Elgin Post War model 6619 with a 10k Schwab and Wuischpard cased 539.

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Elgin Post War model 6619 with a 10k Schwab and Wuischpard cased 539.

#1 Post by 441victor » Wed May 30, 2018 10:12 pm

What a gorgeous way to use up war surplus. Actually calling this particular Elgin movement surplus is a stretch. Granted it is the same movement used by pilots, navigators and watch synchronizing GIs during WWII, this one didn’t start ticking until 1949.

Though it was manufactured on the same equipment that turned out over 400,000 grade 539 movements used in the military A-11s, this one ended up surrounded by solid gold. It spent its life beating beneath a shiny black dial with gilt printing, gold hands and gold tinted lum. It has all the features of its military brothers. Pulling the crown into its setting position allows the hacking lever to stop the balance so you can set the time to the second. The second hand is mounted on a long pivot that runs through the center of the movement. It is driven by a gear mounted on an extension of the third wheel pinion.

At the time Elgin was preparing to offer all new designs to the watch starved public like the Sabre, Clubman and ElDorado. Meanwhile, post war demand was being met by civilian version of models produced for the military like the Hamilton Secometer and this model 6619. It is an exact match to the S&W made stainless model 6618. It even has the brushed sides and shares the same gasketed, screw in back. It’s unique in being the only Elgin I’ve seen with a stamp on the back of the lug denoting gold content.

It's not possible to know the production numbers for this Elgin. I’ve only seen this one at auction and one other example on Bryan Girouard’s site so it is likely to be limited. Back in 2012 I missed out on getting a Hamilton Vancott and they have since grown in value and notoriety. This Elgin hits the same buttons for me. It may never have the cache but possession covers 9/10ths of that.

Joel

grumpyguy

Re: Elgin Post War model 6619 with a 10k Schwab and Wuischpard cased 539.

#2 Post by grumpyguy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Well, dang, what a nice looking watch and a great history lesson. You said it was solid gold?
See my watches here: http://grumpyguyinc.com

441victor

Re: Elgin Post War model 6619 with a 10k Schwab and Wuischpard cased 539.

#3 Post by 441victor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:20 pm

It uses the SS back from the 6618 but has a different stamp when it has one at all. It was just at the start of Elgin's use of model stamps. I have 3 of the all stainless 6618s and only one is marked.That's why I was surprised to see the 10k marked on the back of the lug. I was hoping all the other bidders would miss it but one hit me with a snipe. Joel