Help !

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
Ron

Re: Help !

#11 Post by Ron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 am

thanx for the tip really good information. love the history! will be handed down to my son to keep for further generations !

Tags:

Ron

#12 Post by Ron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:55 am

Still have not found any info about the 24 hour markings on face or a reference to it.

Ron

#13 Post by Ron » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:27 pm

By chance does anyone have any info on the 24 hour feature on this pocket watch as I cannot find any reference to it anywhere.

afire

#14 Post by afire » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:10 am

There may not be much to learn about the 24 hour dial. Before roughly the 1920s, most major American watch manufacturers didn't case their own watches. A jeweler or customer could select a movement, hands and dial from Elgin and a case from a case manufacturer. This would have been just one of many styles of dial offered by Elgin at the time. So, somewhere out there there is probably a catalog, brochure, or price list that would show the assortment of dials available including this one. There would probably be a stock number or something like that associated with it, but not much in the way of interesting information beyond that. I was only remarking that it is a less commonly seen style of dial than the standard twelve-hour dials.
Real men wear small watches.

441victor

#15 Post by 441victor » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:31 pm

afire's post sparked a memory of seeing a list of Elgin dials on Wayne Schlitt's site www.ElginWatches.org. Amazingly enough the site is still up and looking through the scans of the 1896 Materials catalog I found exactly the information afire posited should exist. Take a look at illustration number 1524/1525.
m_pg023_dials.png
m_pg023_dials.png (37.42 KiB) Viewed 237 times
And the preceding page lists it's price at 75 cents for the hard enamel version or $1.50 for soft enamel which I assume refers to enamel painted.
m_pg022_dials.png
m_pg022_dials.png (37.54 KiB) Viewed 237 times
They were also available by the dozen if they were good sellers but at no discount for a volume purchase. Elgin offered dozens of different dials with design for all the popular societies like the Elks, Masons and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers as well as such pastimes like Base Ball, Fishing and Horse Trotting. You might want to browse the rest of the scans as well as all the other documents that Wayne collected and preserved.

http://elginwatches.org/scans/tech_doc/ ... index.html

As a footnote, his database of Elgin serial numbers is the origin of every current search site that I see on the internet today. If you study the errors and gaps in all the datasets there is a signature that appears in their source information even though few people credit Wayne officially. He made his data free to all Elgin collectors and I feel in his debt for getting my research and knowledge jumpstarted.
Joel

GeneJockey

#16 Post by GeneJockey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Canadian railroad watches often have 24hr markings.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

Ron

#17 Post by Ron » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:27 am

Wow thanx guys lots of interesting history. will do some more research with your help that is :)