Elgin watch boxes ID

Vintage Elgin Watch Discussion Forum
inatime

Elgin watch boxes ID

#1 Post by inatime » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55 am

Hi all

Scouring the forum and the internet to see if I can date the following boxes. Have had no luck yet and thought someone in the forum might date and ID them. Thanks!
Attachments
Elgin watch boxes 3.jpg
Elgin watch boxes 3.jpg (131.79 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Elgin watch boxes 2.jpg
Elgin watch boxes 2.jpg (135.76 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Elgin watch boxes 1.jpg
Elgin watch boxes 1.jpg (137.66 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Patrick

Magpie

Re: Elgin watch boxes ID

#2 Post by Magpie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Can you post some more images of the interior of the textured-surface box (and/or describe it)? This might help me try to date the it. As it is, I can't quite tell what the setup is for holding a watch.

For the one with the red bottom interior, I'm guessing 1933-1935. I have an Elgin ladies' model from 1933, complete with the original bracelet, that came in its original box, whose general style is similar to yours. It's also a long, skinny one, but the setup for the bracelet provides little tabs to which the bracelet is attached, extended at length. (I'll try to post an image later.)

Magpie

#3 Post by Magpie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Here's the box I mentioned, complete with its original inhabitant, Model 1144 (with Hadley bracelet) from 1933:

Elgin-ladies-1933-in-box.jpg
Elgin-ladies-1933-in-box.jpg (650.4 KiB) Viewed 648 times

inatime

#4 Post by inatime » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies Magpie. I will put some additional pictures up. My two boxes appear to accommodate strapped watches as there is a slot in each of them where one side of the strap is inserted (and hidden) and then the watch is folded back with the watch case and strap side with the buckle displayed. This I thought indicated the boxes housed men's watches. My pics will better illustrate this than my narrative here.

Oh, and beautiful watch and box!
Patrick

Magpie

#5 Post by Magpie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks for the compliment about my watch and its box! I've found that sometimes one can get a good idea of the date of an Elgin box for a men's model from some details of box construction for a ladies' model, so I figured you'd like to see it for comparison with yours.

And thanks for the description of the interior of the mystery box -- I thought that was likely how the insert was set up (and thus for a men's model) but I wanted to make sure. It's apparently an early one of that type, likely from about 1926. (I have a related ladies' box coming and will post a picture once it gets here. I'll have more details for you then.)

semroc

#6 Post by semroc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am

Very nice model 1144 magpie. Beautiful setup. It sure helps me out when looking for vintage. watch gifts for my wife.

inatime

#7 Post by inatime » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Here are additional pics of the boxes. The smaller one is the oldest and is likely as Magpie suggests, 20s. The larger one is still early 30s. Magpie, your box looked like it had some metal on the rim, is that right? Would the use of metal mean later vintage than my larger one? If so, the larger of my two is likely slightly older than yours.

With the larger box you can see in the indentation and shape from the watch case itself. The tabs secure the buckle end of the strap to the box.

Thanks for information and help to ID them!
Attachments
Elgin watch boxes pt. deux 1.jpg
Elgin watch boxes pt. deux 1.jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 547 times
Elgin watch boxes pt. deux 2.jpg
Elgin watch boxes pt. deux 2.jpg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 547 times
Elgin watch boxes pt. deux 3.jpg
Elgin watch boxes pt. deux 3.jpg (88.59 KiB) Viewed 547 times
Patrick