Buler watch - any ideas?

Vintage Misc Watch Discussion Forum
johnfox

Buler watch - any ideas?

#1 Post by johnfox » Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi all,

I have come across this one jewel Buler watch and wondered if anyone had any information about Buler and any guesstimates as to the age of this watch. It was only cheap, but as I am new to vintage watches it was a good first buy to develop my curiosity.

Many many thanks in advance for any information!

John
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.08 KiB) Viewed 787 times

Paul_S

Re: Buler watch - any ideas?

#2 Post by Paul_S » Wed May 25, 2016 5:38 am

My best guess is that Buler is more of a "brand" that cased movements made by other manufacturers. The watch is probably from the early 70s, which is when 1-jewel watches stopped being cost-effective and quartz took over.
NAWCC Member & Obsessive Watch Adjuster
Blog: Adjusting Vintage Watches

Ninja01

Re: Buler ...

#3 Post by Ninja01 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Well, about 10 seconds of searching on the net got this Buler history article ...

http://www.buler.ch/en/brand/history.html

I had seen this brand around on eBay searches here in the Philippines where I am, but I never found one I wanted & didn't bother to learn about them for that reason.

That article did present something interesting about the company:

1. it is newer than I thought it was ... founded 1945

2. for the 1957 entry, we find this statement "At that time watch-manufacturers produced mechanical watches. Buler watches offered a real alternative to those of its competitors in the same price range, and the company soon became one of the leading mass producers of pin-lever-watches."

BUT ... after 1960, this statement is found "Indeed, at the advent of quartz watches, which replaced the mechanical watches, Buler started to build up their image as a streamlined brand in the middle and upper price range. This was an essential step on which Buler built its present worldwide reputation." Indicates the company really repositioned itself from real low-end stuff to "better quality" product as time went on...

The history article goes up to about 1990 with entries, BUT: Other search results indicate the brand is still around today!

johnfox

Re: Buler watch - any ideas?

#4 Post by johnfox » Fri May 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Thank you, guys. That is most helpful. I'm keeping information about my growing collection of watches and I have copied and pasted your information. Many thanks!!!

john