Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Avia Watch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:50 am 

Hi

Just joined the site and thank you for having me.

I have a Gents Avia watch which belonged to my father. As far as i know or recall he bought it as a young man in the 50's, he believes it's 9 ct gold ? I would personally doubt this. Just wondering if anyone out there knows a little bit about this watch or watches that were similar. I have inherited the watch and wear it out to dinner/special occasions etc and will pass it on to my son when the time comes. I don't believe the watch is anything special or has any real value but it's cool to own an old watch and it has sentimemtal value. I'd just like to know a little bit about it. Have attached pictures please note the band is a cheap modern band which i intend to replace one day.

Thank You

Richard

Western Australia

Attachments:
20150407_184501[1].jpg
20150407_184501[1].jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 2176 times ]
20150407_184523[1].jpg
20150407_184523[1].jpg [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 2176 times ]

Post subject: Re: Avia Watch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:01 am 

Here is some info.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6831

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 am 

The Avia name was used by several Swiss makers long before and after Wadsworth used it, and I believe this watch to be one of those Swiss examples. Rode and Montex, both of La Chaux de Fonds, Silvana of Tramelan, and Newmark of Neuchatel all used the Avia name.

The case may well be 9k, but you would need to open the watch to see if there any hallmarks stamped inside the case back. If the watch was originally retailed in Australia, it is possible (or likely) that the case is domestically made by Handley.

Regardless, it's a nice watch and you should enjoy wearing for the sentimental value. I still have my grandfathers Waltham from his graduation in 1924, and though it's far from my most valuable piece, it's one of few that I will never sell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:49 am 

Thanks for the replies so far they have been great. We are of english heritage and my father bought it either in England or possibly in Europe whilst in the merchant navy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:58 am 

It's a nice watch Richard, wear it proudly!

Also keep in mind that it probably need a "good service" from a qualified watchmaker. Properly taken care of, it'll last several lifetimes, and can be handed down in the family.

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:01 am 

carvan40 wrote:
We are of english heritage and my father bought it either in England or possibly in Europe whilst in the merchant navy.

Solid 9 carat gold cases are very common among watches retailed in the UK. I'd wager that's exactly what it is. As C. Hurt said, you'd have to take the back off to confirm. And if you'd like a little more information, posting a picture of the movement might yield you some clues. You're right that it isn't going to fund an early retirement, but it's still likely a good quality Swiss movement in a nice solid gold case. I'd certainly be happy to own a solid gold watch handed down through the generations.

And if I'm looking at the picture correctly, it appears that it has solid lugs. If you end up changing the band to leather, you can get "open ended" straps for this type of lug.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 am 

Thanks for the replies. I'll definately consider getting it serviced and whilst at it take some pics of the inside and post here for further comment.

Richard

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:43 pm 

nice watch Richard and glad to see another Aussie on here. someone will understand my humor now.

I'm interested to see what's in it, I have a Avia from wadsworth when Elgin owned them.

Michael