Swiss made 'Richard' watch

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
Samwise

Swiss made 'Richard' watch

#1 Post by Samwise » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Hey guys!

I was wondering if your erudite minds had any info on this richard watch. I'm a complete novice and my mother just found it in the loft and it was given to her by her grandma.
All my searches are bogged with Richard mille which it clearly isn't. Any ideas how I can find out more?

Photos attached (I hope)
Cheers,
Sam
Attachments
20161205_201620.jpg
20161205_201620.jpg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 580 times
20161205_201813.jpg
20161205_201813.jpg (4.36 MiB) Viewed 580 times

afire

Re: Swiss made 'Richard' watch

#2 Post by afire » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Culled from elsewhere on the web...
But as to what this brand is or was, I've been able to find very little.....what I have been told or scrapped together is as follows:

The name "Richard" refers to a small company first founded in the 18th C by one Daniel Jean-Richard (1665-1741). I understand it was one of hundreds of small watchmaking firms that survived for generations only to be killed off by the Swiss Watch Crisis of the 1970s and 80s. The brand names "Daniel Jean Richard" and "Jean Richard" were then on sold to other manufacturers.

So there are plenty of "JeanRichard" watches for sale today, but they bear no connection to those produced prior to the Swiss crisis. They just hog all the google hits and make it hard to find info on the REAL Richard watches.

I've noticed that the "true" vintage pieces are only ever branded "Richard," (never "JeanRichard" or "Danial JeanRichard", as the modern ones are), and they do pop up for sale enough to suggest this was once a reasonable-sized company. They are usually from the 50s, 60s and early 70s and appear through German sellers (they don't seem to have ever sold much outside of Western Europe).

They also use quite good movements.
Given that the case appears to be 18k solid gold, it can't have been a cheap watch.
Real men wear small watches.

Samwise

#3 Post by Samwise » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Thank you very much for that usefull info!
That certainly gives me some names to do some of my own research.
Yes it looks solid to me, I must admit that I assumed based on the amount of gold it would be a relatively well known brand. Also, this gentleman says they are mostly from the 50s but my mother got hers in the 60s and believes it was already vintage then. Any ideas on the date, I guess the R gives that away but I can't find a match.

I did open the back to get some info but it's so complicated I didn't want to break it!..

Would the value of this be purely on the price of gold? Not that mum would ever sell it.
Thanks again and any info you guys will surely help :)

afire

#4 Post by afire » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Samwise wrote:Also, this gentleman says they are mostly from the 50s but my mother got hers in the 60s and believes it was already vintage then. Any ideas on the date, I guess the R gives that away but I can't find a match.
Just looking at it, my guess would have been 1980s. It has a pretty obvious resemblance to Cartier watches, which themselves often take a loose inspiration from their own 1920s to 1940s watches.
Since you mention you opened it up, can you show what you found inside?

Samwise

#5 Post by Samwise » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:26 am

afire wrote:
Samwise wrote:Also, this gentleman says they are mostly from the 50s but my mother got hers in the 60s and believes it was already vintage then. Any ideas on the date, I guess the R gives that away but I can't find a match.
Just looking at it, my guess would have been 1980s. It has a pretty obvious resemblance to Cartier watches, which themselves often take a loose inspiration from their own 1920s to 1940s watches.
Since you mention you opened it up, can you show what you found inside?
Thanks for the help!

When I take the back off, the whole mechanism comes out so you can't really see it. I've attached some photos (bad ones) but not sure they will help as it is anyway. I don't fancy fiddling the dial off as I'm an ignoramus on how it all works!

My mum got the watch in the early 70s and she believes that it was from her aunties second hand/vintage shop in Belgium, so it wasn't new in the early 70s. Could be 50s or 60s I guess.

Cheers

Sam
Attachments
20161206_121820.jpg
20161206_121820.jpg (4.8 MiB) Viewed 560 times
20161206_121831.jpg
20161206_121831.jpg (3.62 MiB) Viewed 560 times

afire

#6 Post by afire » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:58 pm

You wouldn't have to take the dial off. There's probably a little lip around the top edge of the movement that lets you carefully pry the movement out of the case back. But it's good to know your limitations (don't ask me how I know this). If you're uncomfortable going any farther, then enjoy it for whatever it may be or take it to a watchmaker to find out what secrets lie within. There may be date or maker info on the case back, or somebody may be able to identify the movement maker. Regardless, if you plan to wear and run the watch, it should be cleaned and oiled by a watchmaker. Any lubrication is likely dried and gummed up now. Running it can cause damage.