seeking original strap/band for GP gyromatic

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
brthst

seeking original strap/band for GP gyromatic

#1 Post by brthst » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Approx 10 years ago I purchased a GP gyromatic at a vintage watch store here in NYC.
It was sold with a cheap band, and now I'd like to see whether there is a way to find out what band was sold with the watch when it was first put on the market.
Just based on what I've found via google, it seems like it's dated to the late 1950's or 1960s.

Anyone know what the number on the case signifies? On this particular watch, there are nine #s: 704644759
Anyone know whether there's a way to learn the original strap? Has anyone ever contacted GP seeking this kind of info?

Thanks to everyone for their replies...

randy van

Re: seeking original strap/band for GP gyromatic

#2 Post by randy van » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:41 pm

I would recommend you search for images of Girard Perregaux Gyromatic advertising; you may get lucky and find an image of your watch model with the strap as originally sold.

brthst

#3 Post by brthst » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Wow!
I did as you suggested, and though I haven't yet found an *exact* match, the first page of google results list what are likely accurate representations of the kind of strap my watch was sold with.
Thank you so much for that advice!

Ninja01

#4 Post by Ninja01 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:42 pm

About 14 years ago I got a hi-beat (36K bph) 39j Gyromatic that was "essentially perfect" in all respects (even had most of the original foil sticker on the case-back!) EXCEPT that the head-links of the original signed bracelet were missing. In those days I did try to contact G-P dealers in the US & also check some sources online to get replacement links, but no success.

As far as online searching for vintage G-P ad scans & catalog scans, I've had moderate success. I had found ad scans of Gyromatics posted in various sources online & if you are lucky you may be able to find one for your particular model. I found interesting ads describing in good detail the design & purpose of the Gyrotrons (from which the Gyromatic gets its model name).

However, unlike with some other Swiss brands (IWC, Omega, Certina,...) I've not yet found a site with actual full catalog scans from the time period my various examples of Gyromatic are from. So ... the company resources available online are not as "robust" as I've found with other brands & it just may be a matter of luck if an ad for your specific model can be found there.

Regarding the number on the case, if it's on the case-band between the lugs, I'd think it would be a case serial#, but I've not seen any company literature confirming that.