Pierce Chronograph

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
NWI Mark

Re: Pierce Chronograph

#31 Post by NWI Mark » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:02 am

Rick, I'm a Pierce Chrono fan but alas, I don't own one-yet! Your collection certainly boggles the mind. :D

JeepJeep13

#32 Post by JeepJeep13 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased a vintage Pierce at an estate sale for $60. It wasn't working, but the hands do move when you turn the crown. From the research I've done, I have narrowed it down to a WWII RAF mono push chrono 134 (It's identical to the black one listed earlier in this forum). Anyhow, I brought it to my local jeweler who showed it to two of his watch repair guys and both said that they couldn't get it working again. Honestly, I didn't really even care if the chronograph part worked, I just wanted the hour, minute and second hands to function so I could make it my daily wearer. I have contacted Pierce watch company twice, but with no reply. Anyone have any suggestions of who I could bring it to in order to get them to service it and bring it back to life? I live in the Chicagoland area, but any suggestions of reliable folks who work on these things would be appreciated.

Cheers,

afire

#33 Post by afire » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:26 am

America's Watches
5 S. Wabash Abe. #1119
(312)346-5227.
Real men wear small watches.

AndyH

#34 Post by AndyH » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:19 am

Hi.

As mentioned in my very 1st post, I am looking for possible future investments.
This is currently on eBay for £25, it says it is WWII?
Can anyone tell me if it is worth it (providing I get it at that price)?

Thanks
WATCHs-l1600.jpg
WATCHs-l1600.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 1816 times

sleeper583

#35 Post by sleeper583 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Greetings everyone,

First time poster. A few years back, I was presented a gift from a great-relative and told it has been in the family two generations. I'd like to learn more about the piece and am hoping you all might be able to shed some light on it.

1. Is it a men's watch or a women's watch? I know the style is a bit different than today's watches.
2. I've had a jeweller exam the stones. They are not diamonds (maybe rhinestones?). The jeweller mentioned the red stones were most likely garnets, not ruby's.
3. It has an expandable band, although it is worn and does not present brightly. The band is stamped on the back "Stainless back" and "Stainless steel" and "HONG KONG"
4. The watch is functional and I winds perfectly.
5. Back of the watch is stamped "[] Base Metal". Not sure if there is something market in the box "[]".

I thought about having the watch repaired (adding back the stones), cleaning up some of the metal where possible, redipping the band so that I might wear to my wedding later this year. However, I don't want to cause damage or alter the watch without at least checking to see if details exist about it's origin. I have figured how to remove the face and backing from the watch. Can I clean the watch face with rubbing alcohol to remove direct?

Any information you are able to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_1049.JPG
PIERCE 17 JEWEL
IMG_1049.JPG (876.27 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
IMG_1050.JPG
FACE REMOVED
IMG_1050.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1541 times
IMG_1051.JPG
FACE
IMG_1051.JPG (789.86 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

441victor

#36 Post by 441victor » Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Welcome to our form Sleeper. Cleaning dials is a journey full of unknowns and hazards from personal experience. There are some dials whose printing will dissolve, flake or fade away under even a gentile glance. A search in the posts here will turn up some good advise and techniques. Most will say to avoid any rubbing. The case and band will respond well to a toothbrush and your favorite jewelry cleaner. Take the movement and dial out of the back first with a little pressure against the stem and crown and lifting at the corners of the dial. Make sure everything is dry before putting it back together. Post some pics of the movement and the inside of the back and someone here might be able to tell something about who and when it was made. I don't know anything about Pierce other that reading this post but this type of decoration was popular in the 40's and 50's. It's not likely to be a very valuable watch though and will probably cost more to restore and service the movement than it will ultimately be worth. Thank you for showing it here and good luck with your collecting. Joel

morningtundra

#37 Post by morningtundra » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 pm

afire wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:26 am
America's Watches
5 S. Wabash Abe. #1119
(312)346-5227.
Recently contacted these guys to see if they'd Service my Pierce Chronograph. They politely declined saying it was simply too hard to source parts now....

afire

#38 Post by afire » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 am

If Gurnee counts as Chicagoland, you might try this place, but ask what the likely turnaround time will be.
http://www.cornerstone-service.com/index.html
Real men wear small watches.