Pierce Chronograph

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
HamiltonIllinois

Pierce Chronograph

#1 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:45 am

Any Pierce Chrono fans in the house? In my limited experience, they are tough to get running properly, but a great watch (and value) once you do!

The yellow one is not in the rotation yet. The case is great except for a bit of pusher wear. Perhaps someone has a suggestion for an economical way to re-place the pushers without re-doing the otherwise perfect case? (My plan was to just strip it and send the pushers off to someone, but I've never stripped a chrono and I've been chicken to learn. :lol: )
Attachments
pierce_chronos small.jpg
pierce_chronos small.jpg (745.8 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Pierces.jpg
Pierces.jpg (96.96 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

SeanO

Re: Pierce Chronograph

#2 Post by SeanO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:37 am

wow,

that leaves me speechless Rick :mrgreen:

HamiltonIllinois

#3 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 am

Nice one Sean! They're also big enough that even Mark could wear one... but I'd hate to encourage him to buy them as the price would skyrocket and I'd never be able to afford anything again. ;) (Not bad for $2, huh?)
Rick

Air

#4 Post by Air » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Rick - I am awed by your Pierce collection. Now, Indiana Jones should have worn something like that, not the alleged Movado Polyplan. Maybe we should have a contest to "Dress Indiana Jones", in other words select the watch brand and model he should have worn on his travels. Jones was supposed to be active 1930 to 1945? Should those be the limits?

HamiltonIllinois

#5 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Air wrote:Rick - I am awed by your Pierce collection. Now, Indiana Jones should have worn something like that, not the alleged Movado Polyplan. Maybe we should have a contest to "Dress Indiana Jones", in other words select the watch brand and model he should have worn on his travels. Jones was supposed to be active 1930 to 1945? Should those be the limits?

LOL, I seriously WISH that I had access to that Polyplan/Indiana Jones info from a few years ago, but I don't. I THINK it was originally posted either in IHC 185 or the later Global Watch Forum, but I can't find it. FRankly, if I owned a Polyplan I would have likely copied it, but to me it was just a fun piece of trivia, little more. But, you are right... Indiana Jones should have worn an old Chrono. Actually, my Pierce collection is rather small. I met a collector who at one point had over 20 of them... that does not sound like a lot, I guess, but since they are all variations on the same basic model, and also were never big sellers, to me that was a lot -- he sold them all to finance a car hobby. "Problem, what problem?" :lol:

PS: I posted this elsewhere, but this is my most recent addition. It's a bad photo from the seller, but I really like the copper and black dial.
Attachments
Pierce copper dial.jpg
Pierce copper dial.jpg (41.29 KiB) Viewed 7330 times
Rick

Air

#6 Post by Air » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 pm

I guess Pierce is to chronos what Gruen was to Pan Americans....market the heck out of one basic design.

HamiltonIllinois

#7 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Hello, my name is Rick, and I have a problem. :lol: (Thankfully I also have an extra second hand to replace this... thing.)

UPDATE: This new Pierce is supposed to arrive today. I hope to get a new strap on it tonight and wear it tomorrow. I love the 2-tone silver plus black dial!
Attachments
Pierce Silver and black dial.jpg
Pierce Silver and black dial.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 7313 times
Last edited by HamiltonIllinois on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick

HamiltonIllinois

#8 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

SeanO wrote: Image
Nice 1-button Pierce! I hope to locate a similar example with a bit of red on the dial at some point. :)
Rick

GLADIATOR

#9 Post by GLADIATOR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Me. But first I want a Pierce early patented automatic from 194X
I need one to complete my early automatic collection - and a WigWag
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Visit Here:http://highercailber.com/
Adam R Harris

FJF

#10 Post by FJF » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey Rick

I see that you have been holding out on us, giving us the old misdirection on Hamiltons and Illinois while you have been cornering the Pierce market. All I can say is WELL DONE. The Pierce look terrific. Would you trade one for a nice Andover ????

Thanks
FJF