Help needed in identifying an old watch

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
mikeyt

Help needed in identifying an old watch

#1 Post by mikeyt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:06 pm

hi everyone.

I dont have much in the way of information about this watch other than it appears to have been cased in England and was owned by my wife's grandmother. The case is double hinged and is of 9ct gold. There are a number of case-maker / trademarks? stamped in the inside of the case back that i am having difficulty identifying and this is where i'm looking for a little help.
Bev's watch 1.JPG
Bev's watch 1.JPG (340.64 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Bev's watch 3.JPG
Bev's watch 3.JPG (461.18 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Time passes too quickly for my tastes...
Visit us at vintagegruen.org!

C. Hurt

Re: Help needed in identifying an old watch

#2 Post by C. Hurt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:38 pm

From the marks in the case, I can tell you a little about it. I don't know the mark that looks like D&R in a C, but I do know the GS sponsors mark for George Stockwell, a prominent and prolific importer of early wristwatches. The other marks are the import stamp for Glasgow (a bit unusual, as Stockwell was based in London, but not unheard of) and I believe the date letter is a cursive Q, which would stand for 1913/1914. That is an early date for a wristwatch, but again, not so unusual as to arouse concern.

The movement is a cylinder escapement that appears to be a ten jewel example. I believe that this is a product of A. Schild, but there were similar models made by several makers, and one would need to disassemble it to have a chance at a positive ID.

If the moment is running, consider that a plus, as cylinder movements have been out of production for over 70 years and few watchmakers are experienced in their repair. Although they are not too complex, they are a bit of a specialty. A running movement can be cleaned and oiled, and then expected to run reliably (if not terribly accurately), but if there are any parts broken or damaged, they can be very difficult to source, and the skills needed to properly fit them and to tune the movement are hard to come by.

mikeyt

#3 Post by mikeyt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:00 pm

hi Cary,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately the movement is not running and the winding stem has a bad habit of popping out easily. The watch will wind & time can be set but the balance wheel does not move freely and i have no illusions of attempting to restore this watch myself. I'll see if i can find out more information about the watch from my in-laws. BTW....what is the small button on the side just below the winding stem for?
Time passes too quickly for my tastes...
Visit us at vintagegruen.org!

Habitant

#4 Post by Habitant » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:47 am

Perhaps a 'hack' button to allow users to synchronise to a time standard?

vintagehamiltons

#5 Post by vintagehamiltons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 am

I had one where the button needed to be depressed in order to properly set the time. It was a ladies Hampden Diadem pendant watch, IIRC.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad