American Pickers - Rolex

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
vintagehamiltons

American Pickers - Rolex

#1 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Here's a late 30's (?) Rolex found on American Pickers a couple episodes ago. They paid $310 for it in nonrunning condition. On the latest episode, their expert valued it, as is, at $700 and $1200 restored. Is he accurate?

Tom Diss
Mod Squad

C. Hurt

Re: American Pickers - Rolex

#2 Post by C. Hurt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Tom,

If it's authentic (there are fakes out there), and if it's complete and doesn't require too much to get it running, and if it's rotor isn't worn out, then yes, that's a pretty fair estimate. It looks to be a Speed King, which with subseconds is about the most common Bubbleback.

With all that said, I would have bought it for the price they paid, but not much more.

Cary

vintagehamiltons

#3 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:32 pm

The "expert" authenticated it, but it had a flat back and was marked RWCo, I think. He didn't open it up, at least on camera, so I don't know for sure if it was real. A nice looking watch, though if real. I wouldn't mind having one in my collection.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

adam78

#4 Post by adam78 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 am

Yes, it's a Speedking Oyster ref. 4220 (not a bubbleback, neither in case design -- some 32mm manual wind Oysters have a "bubbleback" style case, straight between the lugs, and are called manual wind bubblebacks -- nor the fact that it's not a Perpetual).

It is worth about what the estimate said. The fact that it has an original, desirable sector dial makes it a bit more valuable (but not by much).