Can Anyone Help With This Watch ????

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
salleh

Can Anyone Help With This Watch ????

#1 Post by salleh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 am

.......I have tried looking up everything I can look up, and I can't find anything about this watch anywhere......

the bezel off.....

......and here's the movement,

and the marks on inside back .....the 84 leads me to think it might be Russian ....but the lady facing right in the other stamp and the double bubble stamp with the 2 in it ....well they don't add up ......

What a long strange trip it's been......

C. Hurt

Re: Can Anyone Help With This Watch ????

#2 Post by C. Hurt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 am

Hi Sally,

Without getting too basic, I assume you know that this is what's generically called a "trench watch", due to it's similarity to those watches used in the trenches of the First World War. It probably dates somewhere close to the time of that war, but the style hung around for a few more years, so 1915-1925 would be a fair date range.

The case is silver, the "84" is a Russian purity mark standing for 84/96 "Zlotniks", equal to 875/1000 purity. The zlotnik is the Imperial Russian measure for purity in precious metals, and this stamping was required for watches imported into Tsarist Russia. I think the ladies head is the French Diana head hallmark for export silver, but it could also be some form of the Russian "Koloshnik" stamp, although it's usually incorporated with the zlotnik mark.

The movement is an 8 jewel cylinder escapement, probably made by Fontainemelon, but there were dozens of makers of movements like this. An 8 jewel movement is distinctly middle grade, comparable to an 11 jewel lever movement.

On a cursory inspection, I can't find anything about Jaques, but I'm assuming it's a French company importing movements from Switzerland, casing them in France and sending them to Russia.

It certainly is a pretty watch, and in great condition too.

Cary

salleh

Re: Can Anyone Help With This Watch ????

#3 Post by salleh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks Cary, ......with all that info, I guess that's wy we pay you the big bucks ....er.... wait, wait ....I can pay you with a big THANKS ! ....

it is very pretty and in seriously gorgeous condition ....it doesn't run .....but is probably worth fixing then .,....
What a long strange trip it's been......