Seeking Information on Longines Pocket Watch

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
DBinSV

Seeking Information on Longines Pocket Watch

#1 Post by DBinSV » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:36 am

I am in possession of a Longines pocket watch that was owned by my grandfather. Before I pass it along to my nephew, I would like to obtain some information about it, to provide along with the watch, which I think will help him appreciate and value it. I am linking to a photo here and would be most grateful for any clues that anyone could give me. I have not looked in the mechanism for a serial number because I was not able to do so easily and didn't want to damage anything but I would be willing to either get assistance for doing this or perhaps follow some detailed instructions. The number on the inside of the cover, preceded by two symbols, is 57066 (with a capital letter A centered below), in case that's of any help with identification.

JerseyMo

Re: Seeking Information on Longines Pocket Watch

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 am

It all starts with the movement. So you will have to open it up to obtain the serial number.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

DBinSV

#3 Post by DBinSV » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm

@JerseyMo wrote: It all starts with the movement. So you will have to open it up to obtain the serial number.

I succeeded in opening the cover to the mechanism (actually, it was my wife who did that, with her fingernail!).

It turns out that the serial number inside is that same as the number on the inside of the front cover and the inside of the back cover. In other words, that serial number is repeated in three places.

The number is 2257066. The two number twos on the inside of the front cover are written smaller and in such a highly stylized way that I thought they were symbols. But it turns out that they are the first two digits of the serial number. Inside the mechanism, the font is the same as the succeeding five digits, but there appears to be more of a space between the second number two than the spaces between the succeeding digits. So maybe they refer to a model number, with the succeeding five digits referring to the item number? I'm just guessing. Anyway, that is the serial number.

JerseyMo

#4 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:09 pm

I found the serial number dates the watch to about 1909. About one year ago I had a similar Longines cased in silver. Very elegant movement, it was a commission piece and sold for about $250.00
Had it been cased in 14k gold it would have fetch more. Hope that helps you some and perhaps another member will add more information for you.

Best - Jersey Mo
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

DBinSV

#5 Post by DBinSV » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks so much for your efforts, Jersey Mo: Really appreciate that!