What's this antishock called?

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
owch

What's this antishock called?

#1 Post by owch » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:46 pm

This Longines 19.4 has an unusual antishock mechanism.--or at least I've never seen this type of antishock clip before.
I am wondering what it is called (apparently it isn't Incabloc) and how the clip is removed to clean the jewel.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mans-Vintage-1 ... 0005.m1851
TIA, for any useful info.

SFC

Re: What's this antishock called?

#2 Post by SFC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Hey, I have seen about four different balance variations for the 19.4.... To be honest I am not sure this qualifies as shock proof. In a Longines staff assortment for shockproof calibers I only found duofix and incabloc staffs available for the 19.4. This design probably came after the tradition non-shock 19.4 (with the screws underneath) and before the shockproof 19.4 Hope this is helpful.

unreformed66

#3 Post by unreformed66 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 am

I don't know the name of that system but I've run across it before many years ago. You take the little circular clip out VERY CAREFULLY..lol. If it springs off into the stratosphere you're probably screwed. I don't think it qualifies as shockproof either, it was just a way of holding the jewels in place. There's no "give" to it at all if I remember correctly.

owch

#4 Post by owch » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Thank you both.
I was quite surprised to see this setup on a Longines watch.

I have no doubt that the circular clip would be gone forever, if it should spring away.
Thanks for the heads up!