Is a George Parrott a Girard Perregaux?

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum
Mike'sCousinAnthony

Is a George Parrott a Girard Perregaux?

#1 Post by Mike'sCousinAnthony » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 am

There is a watch on eBay listed as a Girard Perregaux. However, it says George Parrott on the dial. Can it really be a Girard Perregaux watch?

vintagehamiltons

Re: Is a George Parrott a Girard Perregaux?

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:42 am

It's what is stamped on the movement.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

Ninja01

#3 Post by Ninja01 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:38 pm

vintagehamiltons wrote:It's what is stamped on the movement.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that statement, with some caveats.

I've collected/studied Girard Perregaux (though not to the point I'd feel qualifying myself as an "expert") since about 1998 & have never heard of a connection between the 2 names.

Quick net searches (and hunts thru my own database of info) don't bring up any references to "George Parrott" as a watch brand, just as an outlaw from the Old West (USA), but there is an auto-fill-in search topic in Yahoo that ties the name to shoes :lol:

http://www.executedtoday.com/2013/03/22 ... s-lynched/

@ Mike'sCousinAnthony: can you post some pics of what you have? It would be especially interesting to see if there are any identifying markings on the case-back (inside or outside) & movement (if you can get it open to take pix). OR ... if you don't actually have the watch just give us a reference to it on eBay (like the auction#) if the pix of it I've requested are there in the listing.

prospex

#4 Post by prospex » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 am

Maybe it's a franken/marriage watch and the seller might be trying to somehow trick the potential buyer into thinking that there's a connection between the two like Rolex and Tudor for example/

afire

#5 Post by afire » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:17 pm

If it says George Parrott on the dial, then it's not a Girard Perregaux, unless some previous owner had a very offbeat pun-focused sense of humor and had it refinished this way.

Shady watch manufacturers occasionally branded their cheap watches with names similar to those of reputable watch companies. I'd be 99% sure that's what this is. The obvious example that comes to mind is "Hormilton" watches. Not quite infringement, but close enough that somebody might be fooled.
Real men wear small watches.

zdlzdl

#6 Post by zdlzdl » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

afire wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:17 pm
If it says George Parrott on the dial, then it's not a Girard Perregaux, unless some previous owner had a very offbeat pun-focused sense of humor and had it refinished this way.

Shady watch manufacturers occasionally branded their cheap watches with names similar to those of reputable watch companies. I'd be 99% sure that's what this is. The obvious example that comes to mind is "Hormilton" watches. Not quite infringement, but close enough that somebody might be fooled.
Haha that's a funny theory actually!