Spider Dial - effect on price

Vintage Rolex Watch Discussion Forum
seiko_omega

Spider Dial - effect on price

#1 Post by seiko_omega » Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 pm

All things being equal, how much should a "spider dial" add to the value of an Oysterquartz?

That is, if there were two Oysterquartzes in essentially the same condition, but one had a spider dial and the other did not, how much of a premium would the spider dial command?

Thanks for your inputs. Am trying to determine if a spider dial Oysterquartz recently offered to me is worth considering versus ordinary Oysterquartzes.

Movintage

Re: Spider Dial - effect on price

#2 Post by Movintage » Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 am

The saying goes, " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and the same goes for collectors. IME, the Rolex " spider" dial which actually was from a finish flaw ( lacquer cracking) isn't a universally coveted aspect for Rolex collectors. For those that do hunt & collect these flawed dials, a premium price is expected. Others won't touch 'em. I have to say, I don't believe I have heard of an Oysterquartz having a spider dial before this. The Rolex spider dials seemed the realm of 1980s GMT16750 and 16800 and 5513 Subs.
How about posting a pic of this spider dial Oysterquartz? I'd be very interested in seeing it,
Thx!

seiko_omega

Re: Spider Dial - effect on price

#3 Post by seiko_omega » Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 pm

thanks, movintage. now let me figure out how to post pics here...