Rolex "Dauphine"

Vintage Rolex Watch Discussion Forum
Kul-Tymz

Rolex "Dauphine"

#1 Post by Kul-Tymz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm

I have acquired this watch from a dear friend of mine; its an oldie, wire lugs Rolex-signed stainless steel case, original dial, movement, etc. I don't know anything about this model and would love to hear anything and everything somebody can tell me about it. Thank you.
Attachments
2016-05-13 09.01.58.jpg
2016-05-13 09.01.58.jpg (511.3 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
2016-05-13 09.03.41.jpg
2016-05-13 09.03.41.jpg (668.82 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

afire

Re: Rolex "Dauphine"

#2 Post by afire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Interesting watch. I've seen a variety of Rolex models referred to as Prince Dauphin. The thing they seem to have in common is the lack of a sub-seconds hand, because as far as I know, they all use a ladies movement. I don't think I've ever seen one with a sweep seconds hand. Or with "Daupin" actually printed on the dial.
Real men wear small watches.

afire

#3 Post by afire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Kul-Tymz

#4 Post by Kul-Tymz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks for your reply and info. Its an interesting watch, never saw one either. By the way, tell me more about that Gruen you use as your profile photo. I saw one of those on ebay several months ago. I want one; I know they don't come cheap!
Ed

afire

#5 Post by afire » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 am

Kul-Tymz wrote:Thanks for your reply and info. Its an interesting watch, never saw one either. By the way, tell me more about that Gruen you use as your profile photo. I saw one of those on ebay several months ago. I want one; I know they don't come cheap!
Ed
Here's my post giving info on this watch at the vintage Gruen site.
Model Name: Import 103
Type: Quadron
Period/Date: Circa 1929

Case Maker: Gruen-Weber Case Co.
Case Material: 14k Green and White Gold
Case Serial: 200332
Case Style no: N/A

Caliber: 119
Movement Maker: Gruen (Precision Workshop, Biel)
Movement Serial: 659382

Bracelet : Leather Strap

Other Info: Anybody who has a version of the Master Book has seen the utterly psychotic assortment of late 1920's and early 1930's import models. Over the years I've been lucky enough to snag quit a few of them. I've had several tanks, including hinged lugs, tri-tone hooded lugs, and several two-tone models, most of them a variation of the same crown guard style. But until recently I has never seen any of the barrel shaped imports. A couple of years ago I finally snagged one. It's the Import 103 with a Gruen-Weber case. Pictures don't really do it justice. As with many of these import models, the movement is "engraved in the old guild manner" which is commonly misidentified as an Anniversary movement. And the case is two tone, mainly green gold with alternating white steps on the lugs. Very subtle and very attractive. So without further ado, here it is.

Kul-Tymz

#6 Post by Kul-Tymz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:14 am

Wow, absolutely magnificent! Thank you so much for sharing such info and the photos. I keep my eyes open but can only hope that ones comes my way someday. I travel to Europe on occasion; wondering if one would be more likely to be found there versus here in the U.S.?

Kul-Tymz

#7 Post by Kul-Tymz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:16 am

BTW, I have that same Gruen box along with a wonderful 14K Gruen I will post one day soon! The box is cool, it has a spot inside that came with a spare crystal.

afire

#8 Post by afire » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 am

Kul-Tymz wrote:I travel to Europe on occasion; wondering if one would be more likely to be found there versus here in the U.S.?
I don't think so. It appears that these "Import" models were primarily intended for the US market. Most of what can be found in Europe are Alpina-Gruen models. That being said, I have seen Swiss-cased Gruens show up in Europe, including at least one with a German import hallmark, so clearly originally retailed in Europe. But that was an early Quadron that may have predated Gruen's relationship with Alpina. And to further complicate matters, you can find watches with any mix of movement, dial and case being marked "Alpina," "Gruen," or "Alpina-Gruen," so it's not always clear whether you're looking at a straight Gruen watch, or an Alpina-Gruen watch.

HamiltonIllinois

#9 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Kul-Tymz wrote:Wow, absolutely magnificent! Thank you so much for sharing such info and the photos. I keep my eyes open but can only hope that ones comes my way someday.

What Ed said! I am sure this is the nicest Gruen I have ever seen... and I've wanted one since the first time I saw it here.
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire