Too much refurbished Omega Gevene, of very good condition?

Vintage Omega Watch Discussion Forum
Stijnemans90

Too much refurbished Omega Gevene, of very good condition?

#1 Post by Stijnemans90 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:28 am

Dear all,

I would like to request for your second opinion.

I noticed in a jewelry shop a gold plated mechanical Omega Geneve vintage (kindly see link below). They do not have any information regarding the watch (such as date of production, although I think it is somewhere in the seventies), or its history. It is however serviced by their watchmaker, they say.

The price is 540 euro (600 US dollars) which is, in my opinion, a little bit expensive for a Omega Geneve. However, The watch is in a very good condition. So good, that I am starting to doubt. The case is obviously polished (eventhough gold plated) but there are no bumps or sign of use in the case and also no sign that the gold plate might come off. Also, the dial looks very clean and fresh.

They say that everything is original and that the dial has not been refurbished and that the case has only been slightly posished. I was wondering whether, in your expert opinion, believe that this watch is indeed in a very good shape and therefore for a good price, or that the watch has been too much refurbished or might even not be that orininal anymore.

I realy look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Stijn

http://rosjuweliers.nl/products-page/we ... ga-geneve/

vintagehamiltons

Re: Too much refurbished Omega Gevene, of very good conditio

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:07 am

The best way to see if the price is reasonable is to look at ebay sold listings for the same model. Since the watch is being sold by a jewelry store you have to expect to pay somewhat more.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

SFC

#3 Post by SFC » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi, the watch is genuine and intact. Most likely caliber 601. The dial looks good and I assume the movement is good as well. Only issue is that as you suspect the case does not have its original finish. The bezel would have had radial finish that has been polished completely. Ideally, you need a lapping set-up to redo a nice radial finish which is risky on plated cases. It is common to see the gold plated examples of this case end up polished. I have seen the steel examples end up with straight grain on the bezel. In my opinion the watch is ok but not a superb example... If you look closely there is some wear on the crown and the case back has been poorly redone as well

This watch is steel but will give you an idea of what the case finish is supposed to look like..
https://uhrforum.de/vintage-omega-genev ... -a-t112634

Stijnemans90

#4 Post by Stijnemans90 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 am

SFC wrote:Hi, the watch is genuine and intact. Most likely caliber 601. The dial looks good and I assume the movement is good as well. Only issue is that as you suspect the case does not have its original finish. The bezel would have had radial finish that has been polished completely. Ideally, you need a lapping set-up to redo a nice radial finish which is risky on plated cases. It is common to see the gold plated examples of this case end up polished. I have seen the steel examples end up with straight grain on the bezel. In my opinion the watch is ok but not a superb example... If you look closely there is some wear on the crown and the case back has been poorly redone as well

This watch is steel but will give you an idea of what the case finish is supposed to look like..
https://uhrforum.de/vintage-omega-genev ... -a-t112634
Thank your very much for your clear assistance. May I kindly ask how you consider the price? As stated by the moderator above, looking on ebay (on the steel versions currently available), I make up a price of around 400-500 euro. In that respect, 540 for this one which has recently been serviced may seem oke. Do you agree in that respect?