Vintage omega question

Vintage Omega Watch Discussion Forum
jinwoos5457

Vintage omega question

#1 Post by jinwoos5457 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 pm

I recently bought this watch over the internet and was wondering what model it is and what movement its using. I have no information about when it was made and where it was bought. The dial is 36mm and maybe its a caliber 260? I'm still new to vintage watches in general. I took it to the repair shop and they said that they need to replace the balance wheel and the crystal since its not waterproof at all (along with an overhaul). They called 450$ for the service. Does that seem like a fair price?
Attachments
omega dial.jpg
omega dial.jpg (844.18 KiB) Viewed 719 times
omega movement.jpg
omega movement.jpg (188.92 KiB) Viewed 719 times

Sansoni7

Re: Vintage omega question

#2 Post by Sansoni7 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:39 am

Uhmmmm
Redial?!
Movement, 265...i think.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... &Omega_265
Last edited by Sansoni7 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards from Portugal. ;)

SFC

#3 Post by SFC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:40 am

I'm not sure this particular watch has a "model" and the movement is caliber 265.. I'm sure with a simple google search you will find info on the caliber. The watch is from the 1950's. The $450 quote is high but not absurd keeping in mind the guy has his shop overhead to deal with and also a need to make a profit. I am not convinced that your watch needs a balance complete (the hairspring does not look bad in your photo). Is your balance staff broken? If your staff is not broken an overhaul on your watch would be smooth sailing. There may even be a white mainspring in the barrel :)

jinwoos5457

#4 Post by jinwoos5457 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 am

Thank you for the reply! I'm not sure if the balance staff is broken. The watch itself worked fine without losing much time but according to the repair shop, it needs to be replaced. Apparently they're going to have to make some parts from scratch and hence the high cost. Does this make the watch into a frankenwatch?

SFC

#5 Post by SFC » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:24 pm

I don't see any reason why you would have to manufacture parts for this overhaul. Its not an antique movement..its a fairly common movement. If parts are needed you source them. Much less time consuming than fabrication from scratch. Try taking to another watchmaker for a second opinion. I do support watchmakers making a living.. however, I see no reason why watchmakers tell people random things. The guy probably has lost steam and doesn't really care anymore and is sick of dealing with people.. not an uncommon occurrence in the world of watch repair