Omega trench watch?

Vintage Omega Watch Discussion Forum
Gerryd

Omega trench watch?

#1 Post by Gerryd » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 am

I bought this recently in a box of watches. I have managed to date it but I'm wondering if anyone on here has one of these in its original case silver or other metal and if there is does the case have any marks to link it to an Omega?

GerryImageImage

afire

Re: Omega trench watch?

#2 Post by afire » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am

Here's one:
http://waterstonewatches.com/shop/rarit ... nch-watch/
Unlike a lot of companies, American ones in particular, Omega watches came in signed cases very early on.
Real men wear small watches.

Gerryd

#3 Post by Gerryd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:20 am

Afire
Thanks for the photo and the link that is helpful. I had not seen an Omega trench that had the case signed, do you know if that was made in the US or imported with the watch?

Gerry

afire

#4 Post by afire » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 am

I'm not an Omega expert by any means, but from having watched them over the years, and having owned a handful of early ones, my impression is that nearly all of the pre-WWII Omegas were factory cased, not exported as movements to be cased in the destination country. That practice seems to have been more common with American watch companies exporting to Europe.
Real men wear small watches.

trim

#5 Post by trim » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Well, it is a combination.

Omega watches are commonly in signed cases (ww1 period) - but they also did produce size 0 neg set movements and a small number of 3/0 sized movements for the US market which were cased locally. If its positive set in general I would say it ought have an Omega signed case, if negative set then it will be found in a USA or Canada case.

These movements cannot be located in the Omega records as they are indexed by case number from this period.

The Regina movements produced for Canada also were locally cased.

I would say yours would have originally had an Omega signed case.