The elusive Greyhound...

Vintage Illinois Watch Discussion Forum
GJH

The elusive Greyhound...

#1 Post by GJH » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:11 pm

We can now confirm that the 3 known examples of the incredibly rare Greyhound have all been
accounted for. I am told that they all have been found with pristine porcelain dials marked "Illinois Greyhound"
and share the Skyway case... Fred has a photo coming in his new book!!! This is VERY exciting news as this watch has
been quite a mystery since the name Greyhound was spotted in the ledgers of the watch company and one has never been
photographed in the wild!!!
Also, there is talk of TWO Black dial Off-Duties that have been found with the Skyway case as well... also rumored to be in Fred's book! This is incredible news!!!
G

ps... this watch came up on ebay some time ago and I found the photo. This rare example has the word "Grayhound" on it.
:D

Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

HamiltonIllinois

Re: The elusive Greyhound...

#2 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Thankfully this watch is VARY (sic) rare!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

GJH

#3 Post by GJH » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 pm

HamiltonIllinois wrote:Thankfully this watch is VARY (sic) rare!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This was manufactured as a special edition in the rarely talked about factory in Springfield, Ukraine :lol:
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

vintagehamiltons

#4 Post by vintagehamiltons » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 am

Maybe this is the Greyhound that gotwater8 was referring to in the other thread?
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

Findingtime

#5 Post by Findingtime » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:25 am

There was an original that sold not long ago for $750 and it included a service pin. Is that one of the 3 or does it make #4?
Adam

Magpie

#6 Post by Magpie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:47 am

Maybe this is the Greyhound that gotwater8 was referring to in the other thread?
Tom, that's what I've been thinking -- that this was the one that he sold some time ago.
There was an original that sold not long ago for $750 and it included a service pin.
And perhaps this is the other one gotwater8 mentioned, the one he said he wished he'd been able to buy.

Adam, was this one with the service pin sold on eBay or elsewhere? (If the latter, where?)

Magpie

#7 Post by Magpie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 am

Perhaps I shouldn't be asking too many questions now -- there will probably be many Illinois revelations once Fred's new book comes out. But, for the time being, it seems to me that the posts from gotwater8 are likely credible. (Too bad he takes offense so easily . . .)

adam78

#8 Post by adam78 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:14 am

I know nothing about these...But you all are hinting that this is probably an older redial (and misprint), correct? ;)

Magpie

#9 Post by Magpie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:05 pm

Adam, the "Greyhound" discussion actually started on the resurrected "Beau Monde/Beau Geste" thread because of some remarks made by an exceedingly odd seller who'd posted a so-called two-tone "Beau Monde," and then mentioned he was wanting to find a "Greyhound." All very strange, but strangest on the last two pages of the thread.

In case you're curious about it, here's the link to p. 5 (but be sure to check out p. 6 as well!): http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... 7&start=40

HamiltonIllinois

#10 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:47 pm

And, lest we forget, the watch he was selling was NOT original, but rather a hodge/podge of franken parts that fit, but were not original. (A fact Fred politely informed him about.) That said, while I respect the seller he mentioned (and have a bought a few great Illinois from him in the past), the GrAyhound this other seller most recently offered for sale was not correct -- and was in fact FAR from it.
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire